Well, I have had the Black Beast (1994 E34 525iA) for 14 years now and 235,000 kms later I am at a crossroads. The old dear is still in immaculate condition and drives like new. The Koni/Eibach combination is wonderful and the Michelin Pilots on replica Throwing Stars keep her planted all round. There is nothing wrong with the car and I smile every time I drive it. The preventative maintenance programme I have used over the years has paid off big time with not one glitch or hiccup. The EAT chip which went in God knows how many years ago has been the best single investment going. The car has won the BMW Nationals (once) and NSW Show and Shines (three times) and has danced around Wakefield Park a few times. The admiring glances I get when driving were not as I thought because of my good looks, they are all for the car (which frankly is better looking than me).

My speed fix (Supercharged E36 318Ti) has been passed onto my son so I am down to the BB. But sometimes, late at night, when its quiet, I dream about built in satnav's, comfort seats and anything but a black on black combination. And more power! Casrsales suggests the E34 is worth very little and here in Australia you can pick up a low mileage 540i with full BMW service history for about ten grand. 525i's are going for less. Maybe its time for a change...

Given that the car owes me nothing and is now worth very little, I should have no hestitation about moving on. Or should I?

Maybe I should supercharge it. I can pick up a kit designed for an E36 with a Rotrex supercharger like the one I put in the 318Ti from the US for about $5K. Except that would need a new transmission and diff. Talk about overcapitalising!!!

But back to reality... Is it time for an E39 540i Sport or should I go the whole hog and get a current shape 545i? Or a 645i or a 745i??? Or keep the old dear and watch us both get old together?

Really not sure what to do. Any advice from anyone??? Quentin still has his 535i and I would cop lots of stick from him if I bought anything that Chris Bangle had breathed on...

Thanks,

Geoff
Sydney, Oz