Mmmm, that ring. Ok I remember now. Yeah, it seemed very intentional so I left it there. I can't see it increasing the drop much since the shocks aren't what determines drop - the springs do. Even if it would increase the drop, I wouldn't. The Bav Auto springs drop it just right. Any lower in the back and it looks bad - it starts to hide the tire and it looks like a sagging ass.

That's a good call with the new strut towers!!! Saved yourself a lot of pain! Just be sure to crank that new strut nut (the big brass one, that replaces the crappy stock one) really well. Otherwise you'll be inviting another clunk that will drive you insane. It will sound like a ball joint, you will replace every single suspension arm and it will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
Big D
The rears that I received have a little roung spacer/collar that goes on the shock rod before the bumpstop, washers and top shock mount go on. It goes past the threaded area of the rod and rests on the top shoulder of the polished portion of the rod. It is shown in the directions too. While searching the archives and web the other day, I saw a site where someone had left it off and gained an extra half inch of drop. I was just wondering if any one on the board had done the same with success.
I am also hoping to avoid some of the knucle busting you mentioned and bought used front strut tubes from BimmerSouth. I'll be able to swap the fronts out as whole assemblies. I put the fronts together last Sunday and left the bumpstop out. I'm just not 100% sure about the rears and the directions aren't much help either. Thanks for all the info!
JR