GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stripping clear off M-Parallels post 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay... Another fun update without pictures as usual. I got the clear off finally and filed the rash down figuring I'll sand the lip and barrel down to polish. I sanded the file marks smooth and started to sand the lips with 400, not cutting at all. Almost like the surface is a thick paint, you can see the difference where I filed it smooth right next to the factory finish. Where I filed is aluminum shiny but the finish is not budging at all. It does however clog the sandpaper pretty easy.

I then tried 320 grit which should do the job with no effort. Wrong, it kinda isn't doing anything but freak me out about what I may be getting into. Regular bare aluminum alloy would not have such an issue. I am afraid of going coarser and that not doing the job then what? If it does kinda work but not all the way these will have to be painted all over and look like garbage. I wish I had a spare wheel to experiment with.

I will try wet sanding tomorrow and see if that works. If not then we go to the 220... then 150... 80? Take the grinder with 36 grit?

I'll post some pics tomorrow? LoL I put a posty note on the middle of my monitor, that should remind me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    I will try wet sanding tomorrow and see if that works. If not then we go to the 220... then 150... 80? Take the grinder with 36 grit? I'll post some pics tomorrow? LoL I put a posty note on the middle of my monitor, that should remind me.
    I reckon the factory finishes them with powder, it's stronger than most 2 pack paints iirc.

And yes, abrasives to deal with hard coatings on top of soft aluminium, sounds a challenge for sure.

There is some stuff, Benco C17, or you can make a home-made mix- check out this guy's how-to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQkzpCBbXfM

It's a bit organic... but uh... it sounds only slightly more dangerous than your 'potion'

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!