Quote Originally Posted by German518iowner View Post
Hi guys,

I did it! The BMW is running great again!
The culprit was a 50a fusible link under the rear seat in a small black box. It appears as I have one rare BMW that has two black boxes for the fusible links and no fuses under heatshrink.

Thank you to everyone who helped me.

Until then,

Best regards from Germany!
That's really great news. Well done for sticking in there FTW! These problems can be so frustrating, but now you can enjoy your new life with the old-school e34

So 518i has its body electronics 50A link under the rear seat, before it feeds the main body distribution box back there? Interesting, but in a black box you say? Or is it a cover that opens to allow you to change the fuse? Where? Near the power distribution box LHS, or the open area where the battery normally is on 6 and 8 cylinder models?

The 80A one under your windshield had us wondering, it looked factory to me and for a car with the battery under the hood, that'd have been good enough for the 'loom' wizards in the 90s. These days the looms are all made by robot, not hand-bound with PVC and fabric tape like BMW had been doing since WWII until it introduced the e39 which was designed with Computer Area Networking (CAN).

Again, great work, and thanks for keeping us up to date on your troubles!