Thanks Regal. Owning a business, having two kids in sports (comp soccer, indoor soccer, basketball, spring soccer, spring baseball, all-star baseball, cross-country, basketball, track) and other activities (dance, piano, boy scouts, girl scouts, theater) makes it hard to make time to do this stuff.
I enjoy it (when things go right) but my wife thinks I'm craaaaaazy. Her dad is an academic and she has all sisters.

So at this point I have both shortblocks pulled all the way down. Will take the replacement version in for hot tanking and a hone.

Also, I put the wrong pic in there for head reassembly. This is what the head looks like. Not all covered in varnish like that pre assembly shot I used, all clean and tidy and reassembled using the gnome condoms (valve stem covers) to keep the seals intact and graphite based assembly lube.

And when I said the frictions in the tranny were fresh, I meant it. They all mic out as new and on this set of smooth frictions, you can see the ink writing on them. The frictions were very lightly scuffed.