Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post

BMW4, what did you hear to dissuade you from using Mobil ATF? Just curious.
As far as Mobile 1 goes the information that I am about to relay to is purely third party and I have not performed any tests to confirm the results so take it how you like

As far as the gear oil goes...I am interested in replacing mine and was looking into MB1 mainly due to the price (RP = $19 qrt, Amsoil $13 qrt, while MB1 is $8qrt)...I read up on the item and asked a lot of questions and it seems like people tend to hear chatter when using MB1...So I took that with a grain of salt...I then asked my mechanic who is a BMW tech as he has been trained at BMW schools and an racer (a Porsche) and he told me that when he was in school everyone was all about SWEPCO as being the best fluid out there!...He wasn't too about the price being that it is ~$60 a gallon which makes it $15 quart (still cheaper than RP) so he went to MB1 instead seeing that he could get it locally and it was cheap...

he said that they first week he noticed a lot of chatter from his differential. The thought of it being his diff came to mind so he took it all apart and noticed that it was in perfect order...he then filled MB1 and noticed the same chatter...so he decided to man up on the SWEPCO and he says that it works like a dream now

As far as their tranny oil goes....I have not read anything terribly bad about them but then again I have not heard anything great about them either.

When looking at the motor oil...I have no complaints...I use the 10-40W high mileage in my E34 without any problems...I have used Castrol and Chevron oils before and have noticed that ever since I changed to MB1 oil I have gotten better MPG, better acceleration, and better start ups...

Then again this is not to say that MB1 makes the best motor oil...just that it is working well at the moment...

Do a search on Amsoil...bubba praises that stuff...he has gotten me curious to try it for myself