GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: smoke Smoke SMOKE!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default smoke Smoke SMOKE!!!

So I am driving into work this morning and smell smoke. Naturally I turn off the fan and close the sun roof thinking it was coming from outside. Wrong. The smell gets stronger and when I look down at my cluster I notice smoke coming from behind it. After the initial "Oh ****" reaction, I find a place to pull over to check it out. Now I should note that this smoke has the distinct smell of burning electronics, possibly melting plastic. I open the hood to check the fuse box, everything checks out. Pull the rear seat to check there, aok. :S

Well, at this point I am somewhat confused as no errors have displayed on the check control and all accessories work fine. I can dim and brighten the lights on the cluster, move the steering wheel forward and back, windows up/down, etc. One thing a co-worker noticed after I got to work was that when the headlights get turned on, the engine revs a little. I guess the alternator kicking in or being stressed?

I have a service appointment tomorrow morning to have the problem looked into but have every intention of pulling the cluster and lower dash apart to see if it is something simple, and if it is, will cancel my appointment.

Obviously this type of thing is hard to diagnose without tearing into anything but any ideas you guys have are more than appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 06-27-2008 at 09:57 AM.