Hi Bimmer nuts
this is my first post, but I check out the site at least once a day - I'm hooked bad. For the last year I have been the proud owner of a graphite grey 1993 540i auto, with 175,00 (about 110,00 miles) kilometres on the clock, with fake throwing star wheels - I am the fourth owner and the car is terrific and practically rockets down the road.
Every thing is fine and I read and use all your great tips and terrific suggestions - from Shogun's reset, Winfred's sober insights and Javier's electrical wizardry through to choice of Mobil 1, which I change evert 3 months.
Here's my problem: just recently, when the car was cold or cool and I selected reverse it would shudder and lack power. This is especially prominent when reversing up a slope. When warmed up it seems fine and reverse has no shudders and it has power - other than that, all forward gears seem to act as they should.
Is this the early sign of something grim? Will a change of oil fix it, as I don't think that its every been changed. Is it a connection or linkage problem?
I really would appreciate your help and advice over here in far away Australia.