With two busted rocker arms I'm in the market for a valve job with some part replacement. Funds, while available, are not unlimited.

I spoke to the only guy I know of that works on BMWs (German Car Service in Scottsdale). I have some misgivings though. First, he wants to replace all rocker arms and shafts sight unseen, and wouldn't let me supply parts. I don't really have a problem with that, but I'm worried I'll end up paying $55 per rocker arm when I could get the same arms off the 'net for $25. I also wouldn't mind being able to specify which springs are used. Second, he says he hasn't done a M30 head rebuild in 15-20 years (he was commenting on their reliability but I read something else). I would like someone fresher than that. Third, he wouldn't do the machine work himself, but ship it off to a shop. I'd like all the work to be done by the same shop at least. Lastly, he wouldn't give me a ballpark. I tossed out $1k but he still hemmed and hawed (how much does a top-end rebuild normally cost anyway? Never had one done).

I that's the only guy I know of; I'd be walking the yellow pages for another option. Maybe a long shot, but if anyone has experiences with head work in Phoenix I'd love to hear about it.

----

Part two - what I'd like out of the head work.

I was quite happy with how my car performed so I'm not looking to get a hotter cam or have the thing ported/polished. I'd like to get the same level of performance back with an emphasis on reliability. A new cam isn't out of the question, but I'd rather not trade torque for top-end gains.

A valve job will absolutely happen, along with new valve springs. I'm a bit mixed on the rockers though. All new rocker arms and shafts add a hefty chunk to the rebuild cost. I'm estimating $300-600 from what I've seen on parts prices. Labor costs wouldn't change as it all has to come out for the valve job anyway.

I probably don't need new valves, 'cept for #1's which may have been tapped, but I really don't know what to expect in machine work. Would a 3 or 5 angle valve job be more reliable? Anyone care to venture a ballpark as to machine cost?

Damn I'm long winded. Sorry guys. In a nutshell, valve job and springs certainly, some mix-and-match options with rockers and/or shafts and the camshaft.

TIA

Dave