GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fan Clutch Went Out Again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

accumulating the parts to go dual electric fans on the 535 waggone, living in the fires of hell that is the gulf coast and having a city commute my clutch stays kicked in a annoying amount, kills a good bit of power taking off between stoplights. i harvested a twin fan assy from a gmc terrain that was missing the mounting ears that is almost perfectly sized for my v12 radiator, gonna wire it up gm style with the 3 relay set up to two temp switches that are going to be drilled and tapped into the thermostat housing, the triple relay is the easiest way to control two fans and have 2 speeds at the same time, no resistors to burn out either, they run in series in low and parallel in high with just two switch grounds to control. the stock electric will be unmolested and remain a back up, i will post the results in my thread
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I looked into an electric retrofit a few years back because the clutch fan takes a buttload of power. Put on the back burner for the most part but when I was looking seemed everyone was using some sort of Volvo fan/relay setup with real good results. Of course I forgot the particular vehicles involved since then. I changed my thermostat to Stant 14188 185f/85c Thermostat Which proved to be a very good move. Still get the school bus sound but only a few seconds. Then again I don't use AC so not sure how an improvement in that state would be.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy