Hello again - It's been a while!

I've returned to the dark side :P and I've been enjoying my e39 530d Auto (138k miles) for a while now but I'm a little worried and thought you knowledgeable guys could help!

I'm getting a noise from what I'm assuming is the transmission, for the first few minutes of driving each day, so when stone cold. The noise rises with revs not speed, and is what I would imagine to sound like an engine without enough oil in it??? It's a bit of a knocky noise if that makes sense?! It isn't present however if I leave the car in neutral and rev it so I'm counting out the engine (recently serviced too!), but I could be wrong there... It doesn't last too long, only a couple of minutes but it's enough to make me drive VERY slowly and carefully until it warms up - Once warm it wont happen again all day! Otherwise the box works well and I don't have any issues with it, which is good!!

I have a laptop software that reads codes and gives me live data that worked perfect for the Jag I had but wont connect to the e39, I've emailed the company so hopefully they can get me connected so I can see any codes etc if there are any and give u guys some more info!

The assumption I've came to so far is that the oil in the auto transmission has seen better days and is causing problems when cold??? Any thoughts? I want to change it out but I know there's a big debate on this!!! Yet with my symptoms, I'd hope it would be more beneficial than risky?

Thanks very much in advance,

John

P.S - I found some upper/lower front suspension arms from my e34 the other day when rifling through the attic - They're not new but seem in perfectly useable condition if your struggling for an MOT or whatever (I was in the habit of 'if it's not broke, fix it' back then!) - My good friend WhiskyChaser had first refusal but having recently done his they're free to a good home, you would just need to pick them up as posting them would cost a small fortune!! (I'm in Liverpool UK).