GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1991 E34 525i M50 uneven idle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1991 E34 525i M50 uneven idle

Hi,

My tireless companion was last week struck with sudden idle sickness and is not willing to run properly when applying throttle.

I found a youtube video which demonstrates the exact same idle noise as my car produce as far as I can judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVbNG8t-cW0

The following have been observed/performed:

- Idle rev is around 500rpm and constantly struggling. Normally my car idles at 650-700rpm. There is almost no pulsating on the tacometer, although the sound in the video indicate that the engine is pulsating.
    - By applying throttle I can get it up to 2k-3k rpm, but by holding the throttle this way the engine will choke itself back to idle after 2-3 seconds.
    - By disconnecting the MAF cable, the car runs almost as normal. I can sometime hear the pulsating sound slightly, but the car appears to go normally even when holding throttle over a period of time.
    - Disconneced and cleaned MAF, no change. When replugging the MAF, the car goes back to struggling on idle around 500rpm. To me this indicate that the MAF is actually producing a signal, and is most likely not faulty.
    - Sprayed all vacuum hoses with start spray + gone over vacuum tubes. Difficult to reach in under manifold, but no change in rev was experienced during this.
    - ICV changed about 4-5 years ago, together with inlet and vacuum hoses. When ICV was faulty, the rev was constantly hunting. I don't experience this now, so I dont suspect the ICV.

- What to check next? Can faulty ECT sensor cause this?
    - Can I disconnect the MAF cable and drive to mechanic without destroying something?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    Last edited by Linuxguru; 07-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.