Hello!

I have had trouble cold starting my M20 engine last morning. It was parked outside. The air was cold and damp. It wouldn't start. Starter would make noise.

After lots of finicking with sparks plugs, removing them and drying them. I could start again, but only if pushing on the gas pedal. The engine would die if it fell below 1500 RPM. Once hot, the engine would run fine at 1000, but very badly below that. It idles like there is a huge air leak, such as when the oil cap open. But there is no air leak except a small drip of oil at the rear oil seal. I just removed the idle by playing with the screw on the throttle. everything else was fine. No changes except an increase in fuel consumption on the highway. It might be fuel loaded with water.

But now I have a hard time starting even in the garage. I checked the following

igntion coil (Bosch TCI) : primary 1.2 ohms dropping to 0,8. Secondary resistance 5600 ohms. Something is amiss here. I have the secondary resistance of a motronic coil and the primary resistance of a TCI coil. My engine is Motronic.

the ICV reads 40ohms cold and 44ohms hot. 40 is the good value. Is my ICV done? I have 12,2 voltage on the ICV. The ICV is 3 pins L shape. Haynes says when removing the electrical connector, RPM should shot up to 2000. But when I do, RPM falls a little. Is Haynes correct?

I checked the igntion sensors and both have 950 ohms which is good. I couldn't get the 100 000 ohms resistance though. My engine model has the TDC sensor at the front linked to the 15pin connector. Haynes says you can't test it and is not used for igntion.

The only obvious issues are an oil leak on the rear crankshaft oil seal (small air leak I guess) and a hole on the exhaust silencer.

So if you have a M20, please let me know where should I look for. thank you. I would say ICV, but I don't like the ignition coil either.