Quote Originally Posted by vping
New here and I just picked up (or am about to pick up) a 1990 525I. Red with a black interior. 141,000k and has been sitting unused for 5 years. She fired right up but what else should I look for that I may want to replace on it that may have soured over that past 5 years? I know the usuall hoses and stuff but not sure if anything specific for this car. I am an MG enthusiast and have a few of them so I wrench all the time but my familiarity with cars are only the MG's. I want to make this a reliable car that I can cruise around with the family in.

More on the car and pics when I get it home.
Welcome! I'm sure if you work on the MG's you won't have a problem with the e34, these cars are really straightforward to work on... They must be if I do!

Healtoeit makes some great points - take these seriously. I'd also do a full service including spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter (this often gets overlooked for years... I changed mine last year and it had been in since 1992!)

Also check out the fuel lines, not sure if sitting will make them any worse but worth checking and doing before you spring a leak (like I recently did ).

Anyway have fun with the new motor!