Well I can't say I've ever seen this happen before….

In the past few months I had several issues with the car running a bit rough off and on. It seems there was no pattern to it at the time but looking back no it normally followed rain. A majority of the time it would run rough then after 30 min smooth out no problem. Last week it started again and unlike before the "rough running" wouldn't stop. I thought it was most likely the coil packs since they had 200k on them. I was more or less correct.

I first tested to make sure the coil packs were receiving power - Sure enough 12v.

Next I checked the resistance on each pack - All tested in range between 0.4 - 0.8 ohms. I then noticed a bit of rust underneath the coil pack closest to the firewall.

As I went to remove the coil pack it acted stuck. I gave it a good tug & the bottom of the boot immediately broke and pulled off revealing.... ICE!?!?!

Once I removed all of the ice/water and replaced the boot the car is back to its old self. (Running Great) I’m reasoning water was seeping in after rain storms & shorting out the dry rotted plug boot. The car would then start running rough - after some time the water would evaporate off and a normal idle would return making diagnosis difficult. Luckily this past week the weather had been cold creating ice otherwise I may have never noticed it.

Just thought I put this out there incase someone else was having a similar issue.