On my car the remote is integrated into the key. A few weeks ago it went from intermittantly working to not working at all. The battery was recently replaced, and reinitializing the key according to the manual does no good. After some research, it seems that since my car was produced in 1993, it pre dates EWS I and just has an original drive away protection system. This correct?

If so, what does this mean in terms of installing aftermarket systems?

Based on some of the information I got primarily from a thread here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...hlight=keyless

I called a dealer(actuall two- the first guy had no clue about the problem), and they said it could be that the receiver needs to be reset, but he hasn't ever had to do it, or the amplifier on the antenna needs to be replaced which is more expensive than a reset. I can't find anything on the amplifier or antenna.

Is the module in my car located on the passenger side of the battery under the seat like other EWS systems?

There doesn't seem to be much information, or what is out there is very unclear about what I can/can not do to get this working. I like keyless entry and the alarm is a nice touch, but not necessary. However if I can get it back for $100 or so then I'd be happy to look into doing the work or getting somebody to do it for me if that's what it requires.

Thanks.