GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door lock problem

Default Door lock problem

Something went wacky with my door locks last night, and now I can't turn the key at all in the driver's door lock cylinder. The passenger's side works fine and does operate the car's locks.

What's wrong?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Broken/Worn down lock cylinder?

My driver's side has gotten pretty stiff to move as well.

I would say you need to try oiling the cylinder or something along those lines.

Nah, it worked perfectly until something strange happened.

For a short while, I could turn the key to lock the car and it would unlock itself immediately. But it's not doing that anymore.

The driver's door lock cylinder isn't jammed. It has locked itself. It's some kind of 'feature', I'm sure.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Sorry its not a special feature, I had to go and take a

pic of a bmw doorlock to show you. The sheaves,leafs or tumblers that you see in my hot little hand here all movin in and out according to the cuts in the key. When one of these sheaves gets bent or worn out then the lock won't turn. We mechanics have a technical term for it. We call if F***ed up. You usually end up having to take the lock apart and
    A. removing the damaged or offending leaf or
    B. Call Patrick at Bma and have him send you a new key and tumbler assy. matched to your key code.

EDIT, disregard the shitbox subaru in the background that i'm working on today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    Nah, it worked perfectly until something strange happened.

For a short while, I could turn the key to lock the car and it would unlock itself immediately. But it's not doing that anymore.

The driver's door lock cylinder isn't jammed. It has locked itself. It's some kind of 'feature', I'm sure.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that pic, Bill.

Can I buy a tumbler matched to my existing key, or do I have to replace all the locks on the car now?

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Not meaning to totally hijack the thread, but it's somewhat kinda sorta related.

I have noticed in the ignition that if I turn the car off and try to restart without first pulling out the key, I can't. It doesn't feel like something totally locks to keep me from doing it, but there is enough resistance it feels like I would really screw something up if I tried to hard. Lately when I pull the key out of the ignition, the little cover or whatever it is doesn't always snap into place and the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. Usually putting the key back in and pulling it out resolves the problem.

I would also like to know if it's possible to replace just the ignition and drivers side lock...all others work flawlessly.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Hey, here's a thought. Could I swap the driver's and passenger's side lock cylinders? I never put the key in the passenger side anyway.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Hey, here's a thought. Could I swap the driver's and passenger's side lock cylinders? I never put the key in the passenger side anyway.
    Dont see why not, except for a lot of work... Get a remote door opener while yore at it.. I know i will since i read your thread.

-Artem

PS - the locking mechanism for a starter has some sort of a safety thing - thats why it wont turn after you start it - all cars have it.

Default They have a separate part number for left and right. If you really just

want to fix it cheaply you can take it apart and remove the leaf thats damaged or bent. Your key will then be short one leaf but for the most part it will have most of them to require it to work. Sorry after looking at the lock again you have to leave out 2 leafs. There's 12 total so its still enough to require a key to open if you leave out 2

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Dont see why not, except for a lot of work... Get a remote door opener while yore at it.. I know i will since i read your thread.
    Well, the work's a sunk cost anyway. How hard is it to reinstall one of those things?

If I had keyless entry I wouldn't give a crap about the lock cylinder.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast