Some folks were interested in how the new Alpine looks, and how well the iPod integration works. Photos I've got; I'm still getting used to the controls. I'll try to find time to write a more detailed review this weekend, right after I fix my OBC bulb(s).

With flash, kind of what it looks like in daylight. Notice the metallic gleam off of the HU. It's a sort of gunmetal dark gray normally; the flash makes it look awful.

Without flash, night time illumination. I had to try about 23 times to get this picture (no tripod) so don't pick on me for how crummy it came out. The illumination from the iPod face isn't nearly so bad as it looks here, nor is the Alpine readout so distracting. Minus some points for the Alpine readout being white, and not dimming with the rest of the radio when the BMW's lights are on. Course, it *is* a sub-$200.00 US radio. *shrug*

iPod placement on the console - noticed the discreet black Alpine cable coming out the bottom. I think it's weird that there are actually 2 cables; I may get some shrink tubing to go over that. I have the iPod's case (a Contour Showcase 4G) velcroed in place, and the screen is just visible from the driver's position when the car is in D. Not that I need the screen with the Alpine; I should just turn off the backlight and be done with it.

Magic Secret Decoder Box Place - just stuffed it into the glovebox and hooked the wires around the back, jammed them up into the center console, done. Too easy.

Total investment:

HU - $169.00 plus tax at Best Buy
iPod Adapter - $99.00 plus tax at Best Buy
Wiring harness & antenna adapters - $29.00 at local radio shop

~2 hours of cursing and running back into the house to cry for help on this website

~1 scratch on the wooden shift handle (@!#%#$%!@$!@) that came with the car

I'm pretty happy so far - the HU is nice, and I'm *ecstatic* to be getting away from the tape deck adapter.

Which reminds me, anybody want to buy my factory stereo? This Alpine is going with the car when I sell it, as my next car is going to be an E39 540, and this won't fit.

Thanks for looking.

-Zak-