GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help me make a ss exhaust decision

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help me make a ss exhaust decision

Santa is going to bring me a stainless steel exhaust because I have been such a good girl this year. This is a big decision and I need some input--especially on the issue of resonators.

Let's start with a ss exhaust is a stupid waste of money. I know and don't care. And because I expect to have this car a very long time, the decision won't be made on the basis of cost.

Don't really care about performance improvements. Not trying to get a few extra hp out of the system. That is not the point.

It is all about the sound. Our former 525 was a rumbler and I loved that about it. When my husband was driving it, I could hear him a block away. It was not too loud, just loud enough. It always reminded me of a Harley. My 535 sounds too civilized. I want resonance.

I have been reading old threads and links and think I have it narrowed down to a Supersprint or an Eisenmann. On the other boards, the preference does seem to be Eisenmann. And you just have to love this review Post 19 by Mobius20

I know a lot of people here have B&B (triflow) but I think it is too loud for me. Plus the Indy that will be installing it has not been happy with B&B. I understand that the Dinnan needs fabracation to connect so that is out. The Magnaflow sound didn't do it for me. The Indy is encouraging me to go Supersprint but my heart says Eisenmann. Actually the Indy thinks I am nuts for wanting what they call a "growler" instead of stock, but oh well.

Since I am still mostly clueless, I never trust that I am understanding what I read. Is this right? When people talk about cat back or straight pipe, are they talking about ommitting the resonator? I understand that the resonator makes the system more quiet. What is the resonators point? Are cars street legal without the resonator? Is there more noise in the passenger compartment without the resonator?

I have heard that the Supersprint is only slightly louder than stock. You can get both the back muffler and a resonator from Supersprint. Eisenmann doesn't do a resonator. The Indy suggests a stock resonator (and yes I need a new one).

Here is a link sound clips on a 540 without the resonator. I know that a 535 isn't going to sound like a 540, but this link is what I have to work with. I think the Supersprint with a resonator would not be loud enough for me. This clip of the Eisenmann without the resonator sounds too loud in the passenger compartment but I am thinking with the resonator, it would be just right.

sound clips of various ss exhausts on 540 without resonator

So your input/education regarding resonators is appreciated. My decison will be totally based on sound. Not price, not performance. I would be influenced by quality and installation problems. I want resonance--good sound quality that is medium loud outside the car but not that loud in the car. TIA
    Last edited by Gayle; 12-17-2005 at 11:43 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler