Let me try to make a long story short. Purchased a 98 528i in Feb of this year and so far, not bad. Two issues need attention right now. The first is that the car will not start, no crank. Ironically, the day I recieved my Peake to reset the inspection lights, the car would not start. After an hour, the car did start. After three days of starting flawlessly, it now seems as though there is no way it is going to start. The engine will not turn over, just absolute silence. The car is on the second battery. My feeling is that it is the ignition switch or the starter. How do I diagnose the problem? If it is one of these problems, it is a plausible fix for an amateur like myself. I once switched out a starter in a 1993 Mazda MPV van and installed shocks on a MB 300SD. I don't mind grease and although I am old, I am fairly flexible.

Now for problem/issue number 2. I had a brain storm! Since I have this little gizmo that can detect faults, why not try it out again. I just hooked it up and came up with an "E9". I know this as an error by the right fielder, or is it left fielder? Nevertheless, the chart reads "Catyalyst efficiency below threshold Cyl # 1 - 3". Somebody please tell me what this means? Sounds bad!
I assume that this is not related to problem number 1. Any insight on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. I have tried another forum that shall remain anonymous and I even privately emailed a key player on this board. I just need to get the car going and I hope you can put up with my many questions.

many blessings,

John