Haven't visited the forum in a while (frankly, haven't needed to), but I come hat in hand with a conundrum.

A while back I started getting the "Check Control: Owner's Manual" warning on the dash display. My mechanic said it was just the module that had gone out. As it didn't affect anything else, I let it go several weeks until I got time to deal with it today.

After picking up the car I drove a few miles and turned the car off. That's when I got the "Trans Program" warning, which I've seen once before. I turned the engine back on and it disappeared. After several more miles I got "Brake Light" warning which, when I parked the car and had somebody check for me, turned out to be a false reading. When I turned off the engine I got the "Check Control: Owner's Manual" warning again.

The mechanic had said that by leaving in the bad module for so long that the fault may have become permanent. Huh? Now, I'm no electronics expert, but I fail to see how a fault could become permanent. It's not like the module was sick and contagious. Needless to say, I'm not happy abut having spent $290 and not getting the problem fixed. Now I have to call and leave a message for the mechanic telling him I'll be back on Friday, but I hope he doesn't tell me it's my fault for not taking care of it before.

So, I'd love to be armed with the knowlege of the experts here on the forum? Does this sound at all feasible? Moreover, what can I do to fix this problem? TIA,

Ian
'95 525i