GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspension noise...but from where?

Default Suspension noise...but from where?

I just installed new upper/lower control arms, tie rods, center link, sway bar links, and idler arm in an attempt to defeat a clunk noise that I had. I thought it would be the thrust arms... but aparently not. I'm still getting the same clunk/scrathy noise almost every time I brake...so what else could it be?

~I also just had the transmissin rebuilt...could it be something related to that?

Thanks in Advance.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I had an annoying clunk noise coming from the front passenger side whenever the front end suspension compressed. I thought it was something in the linkage but it turned out it was a bad strut. When I got my new suspension in, it went away.

loose strut collar? Bad strut? only when braking though huh?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

oh yea, forgot to mention that i just installed a Sachs sporting kit. So the collar nut is new, stuts are brand new etc. But the noise is still there.
    Yea. its only when braking, and upon releasing of the brakes. Kind of a cluck than creaking metal to metal sound.

It could very well be the suspension settling in...but, its the exact same noise that I had before changing everything.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

sway bar links????
    Gone but not forgotten

nope, replaced those too. haha.

www.KaRealtySF.com

What about the brakes themselves?

Prior to rebuilding my brake system last weekend, I had a terrible grinding noise whenever I came to a stop. Discovered that I'd lost a caliper carrier mounting bracket bolt, and the caliper was rubbing against the rotor's edge. Not cool.

These are kind of long shots, but you might check them out:
    - swaybar links (also prior to my work last week, I had a clunk that "appeared" -- turned out to be a loose nut where the SBL met the Struthousing.
    - bolts for the wishbone (if you lowered it to install the thrust arms).

Josh, did you get an alignment yet? When I did my suspension the first time around, I drove around with it for about a day and was SURE that I had a hanging caliper. That may have partially been the case, but for some reason, getting the alignment fixed everything.

Best, whit

Oh, also... Make sure that the rotors were properly reinstalled.

Ill check those out tommorow whit. Im going in for an alignment tommorow and at the same time Im going to ask them if they can retorque my bushings under load.
    Weird thing is that the noise is exactly the same as it was before I did any work.

Does it matter that i can kind of sort of "feel" it comming from near my feet area...

Thank you for everybodies quick responses!
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 02-27-2005 at 08:36 PM.

www.KaRealtySF.com

you can feel it huh? check your cross brace deal that the thrust arms bolt to, might be loose where it bolts to the frame area.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast