GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Suspension vs. steering rattle?

Default Suspension vs. steering rattle?

Although my control arms were replaced a couple of weeks ago and the rest of the suspension should be in good shape, I have a rattle that seems like it is right behind the firewall ahead of the steering wheel. It happens when I go over compound rough spots (I don't notice it when it's just a pothole). Not terrible, but it drives me nuts because I want the car to feel tight and this ruins any semblance of tightness it might otherwise have.

I have heard that the P/S gearbox can get loose and require adjustment. I don't have any issues with my steering, just that little rattle.

Anybody been through this or otherwise have insight?

Thanks.

p.s. Please have pity on me and my wide grill - not the engineering marvel the 535 is that's for sure.
    Last edited by G Feller; 02-18-2004 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Default remember that old pontiac grand prix (grand am?) commercial?

"wider is better"

but pontiacs still suck. all domestics do.

(pic of Geneal Motors Building, Detroit MI)

Default Hey, watch it there young fella.

I love my Bimmer and loved my Acura and Toyota, but I would take a Corvette, Viper, GT40, or Neon RST-4 and love it to death if someone handed one to me. There's probably a few others that don't suck too, and that's assuming you are referring to current vintage only.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    "wider is better"

but pontiacs still suck. all domestics do.

Default just a common overgeneralization..

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    I love my Bimmer and loved my Acura and Toyota, but I would take a Corvette, Viper, GT40, or Neon RST-4 and love it to death if someone handed one to me. There's probably a few others that don't suck too, and that's assuming you are referring to current vintage only.
    high end domestics such as those you listed are nice (GT 40 is superb), but im talking as a "whole". Gotta appeal to everyone I guess, at least in the US.

Default * bump *

Anyone?

Although my control arms were replaced a couple of weeks ago and the rest of the suspension should be in good shape, I have a rattle that seems like it is right behind the firewall ahead of the steering wheel. It happens especially when I go over compound rough spots (not so much when it's just a pothole, but a little then too). Not terrible, but it drives me nuts because I want the car to feel tight and this ruins any semblance of tightness it might otherwise have.

I have heard that the P/S gearbox can get loose and require adjustment. I don't have any issues with my steering, just that little rattle.

Anybody been through this or otherwise have insight?

Thanks.

p.s. Please have pity on me and my wide grill - not the engineering marvel the 535 is that's for sure.

Default Even though you say the rest of the suspension is in good shape I would take a

closer look at the sway bar links , thats the kind of a rattle that they make when bad...they typically rattle over the patch of rough road like you describe but not as noticable over a big one like a speed bump or pothole...

Anyone?

Default Thanks Bill

You know I don't wrench yet, so it is reasonable enough to doubt my certainty on these things. It is time for me to get a jack and stands and spend some time up close and personal with my car, that's really all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    closer look at the sway bar links , thats the kind of a rattle that they make when bad...they typically rattle over the patch of rough road like you describe but not as noticable over a big one like a speed bump or pothole...

Default the top of the struts has a collar that can get loose and cause the same sound,

thats what it ended up being on mine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks - will check this too.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    thats what it ended up being on mine.