GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Benefits of Aluminum Lower Control Arm?

Default Benefits of Aluminum Lower Control Arm?

I have seen aluminum lower control arms for sale and I am wondering what are the benefits to using aluminum verses steel. I understand the weight difference is a plus, but the difference can not be that much. Also, it would seem to me that aluminum would get bent more easily. I could be completely wrong. I am just looking for clarification because I am about to rebuild the front and rear suspension and trying to figure out what I need to buy. Thanks for the info.

Default As you pointed out, Al weighs less than steel...

however, Al is 3 times more expensive than steel depending on its alloy composition, heat treatment and other mechanical properties. (Call BMA and you'll find out that the Al control arm is almost twice that of steel.) There are tons of Al alloys and tons of steel alloys out of the wazoo in today's metal market. The thing about Al is that when compared with steel, ounce for ounce, it is stronger, and therefore not much Al is needed to make a rigid part. Many have the notion that steel is stronger than Al because it weighs more. This is a taboo.

The modulus of elasticity of Al, on average, is 3 times lower than steel. This means that Al doesn't flex as much as steel, however, Al expands twice as much. Both materials have major benefits depending on the application for their use.

Default Edit

ntxt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    however, Al is 3 times more expensive than steel depending on its alloy composition, heat treatment and other mechanical properties. (Call BMA and you'll find out that the Al control arm is almost twice that of steel.) There are tons of Al alloys and tons of steel alloys out of the wazoo in today's metal market. The thing about Al is that when compared with steel, ounce for ounce, it is stronger, and therefore not much Al is needed to make a rigid part. Many have the notion that steel is stronger than Al because it weighs more. This is a taboo.

The modulus of elasticity of Al, on average, is 3 times lower than steel. EDIT: [This means that Al doesn't flex as much as steel (i.e., oz for oz,) however, Al expands twice as much.] Both materials have major benefits depending on the application for their use.

Default Sorry folks, I resurrected...

this thread by accident.