GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing my new Konis - quick help?

Default Installing my new Konis - quick help?

Finally I have time to put my new shocks in!

Except, ah.. What in the world are the instructions trying to tell me here?

Pour 50ml of cold water into the shock tube? Uh.. Why?

Also; for the rears, how does the rear hat self come out? I've tried before but I couldn't figure out the damn puzzle.

water? i heard of oil but wouldnt recommend water, burst the strut tubes in freezing conditions, looks like in the picture their showin a temperature deal above freezing so Id use oil.

your rear question i dont understand.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Stupid picture - I should have said 'fluid' because there's nada on that image to indicate anything about what exactly I'm supposed to be dumping in there.

Why the hell is there a snowflake then - does it matter that the oil[fluid] is cold?

-Second part; to get to the rear shock mounts (and for future knowledge) - how is the carpeted hat shelf removed?

they say you can slide the carpet shelf into the car, I lifted mine up enough to get to the nuts on top. You have to remove the seat of course.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    they say you can slide the carpet shelf into the car, I lifted mine up enough to get to the nuts on top. You have to remove the seat of course.
    Okay. We'll see how that goes. Thanks!

Still not clear on the fluid in the shock tube situation though..

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    Stupid picture - I should have said 'fluid' because there's nada on that image to indicate anything about what exactly I'm supposed to be dumping in there.

Why the hell is there a snowflake then - does it matter that the oil[fluid] is cold?

-Second part; to get to the rear shock mounts (and for future knowledge) - how is the carpeted hat shelf removed?
    No need to take the rear shelf shelf off, simply slide the seatback forward and you can fit a 3/8" socket in there to get all three bolts loosened. You may need a universal joint to get the last one though or a socket wrench that has a "bendable" head.

As far as fluid for the front struts you should use oil (50 mL) in the housing. I believe that it is for heat transfer under extreme conditions but am not sure. That information came years ago from a very rebutable auto engineer buddy of mine. YMMV.

Best,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    No need to take the rear shelf shelf off, simply slide the seatback forward and you can fit a 3/8" socket in there to get all three bolts loosened. You may need a universal joint to get the last one though or a socket wrench that has a "bendable" head.
    I should mention that I'm also trying to track down a incessant rattle underneath that shelf; so I want to remove it to locate the rattle. I figure if it makes getting to the shock mounts a bit easier, might as well kill two birds...

As far as fluid for the front struts you should use oil (50 mL) in the housing. I believe that it is for heat transfer under extreme conditions but am not sure. That information came years ago from a very rebutable auto engineer buddy of mine. YMMV.
    Makes sense; if only even just to displace condensated water in the shock tube and prevent rust.

I'll assume any typical engine oil will be fine - someone correct me if I should be doing something special here..

Thanks for the help.

My heiroglyphics are a bit rusty...

I think it says:
    Pour pure arctic glacier water into this tube, and you can then use the strut as a makeshift motorcycle. The point value for this operation is three struts.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    My heiroglyphics are a bit rusty...

I think it says:
    Pour pure arctic glacier water into this tube, and you can then use the strut as a makeshift motorcycle. The point value for this operation is three struts.
    haha!

Honestly; based on this shitty page of instructions; that might as well be true. They could at least put the little universal oil can symbol next to the thing that LOOKS LIKE a damn kitchen measuring cup.

Still - WHY the damn snowflake?! Is it supposed to convey "hey idiot, this isn't water because if you use water it'll freeze and break everything"?

I know where I've seen instructions like this before! IKEA.
    That's it. Koni and Ikea must be the same company. I've bought a set of SHÖKKÊN for my car...
    Last edited by Mobius; 02-15-2005 at 08:31 PM.

I believe it's supposed to be oil. At least that's what it is for the stock Boge struts. I left the existing oil in mine.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast