GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat battery - can't unlock doors!

Default Flat battery - can't unlock doors!

Well silly me left my park lights on last night and flattened the battery. The problem is the 'emergency' unlock procedure doesn't work. I've lifted the handle prior to turning the key to the unlock position but the internal door lock button only moves up slighty but not enough to unlock the door. Same applies to both doors. Er... Help please! Cheers

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Jack up the car and hook up the positive to the starter if you can... no need for humongous jumper cable type... but a thick wire with alligator clip... and hook up the jumper cable to that wire and ground to chassis (make sure it contact metal... not else.) This is so you can unlock your door... then you will pop your hood and do the normal jump start.

Perhaps all of us should hook up a wire from the jump post to somewhere accessible when locked out but protected from shorting.

Can you open the trunk? If so

Try hook up 12v to the trunk lights and power up the car.

Good luck

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Jack up the car and hook up the positive to the starter if you can... no need for humongous jumper cable type... but a thick wire with alligator clip... and hook up the jumper cable to that wire and ground to chassis (make sure it contact metal... not else.) This is so you can unlock your door... then you will pop your hood and do the normal jump start.

Perhaps all of us should hook up a wire from the jump post to somewhere accessible when locked out but protected from shorting.
    Thanks guys. Jacked it up and hooked up 12 volts from two series 6 volt batteries to the battery connection on the starter solenoid. It was enough to unlock the car. I'm going to fit an auxiliary 12 volt socket to somewhere in the trunk which will connect directly to the battery. Then it's just a case of plugging into that if/when this happens again.

A socket from the trunk down to the wiring under back seat would be a great solution

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    A socket from the trunk down to the wiring under back seat would be a great solution
    That's exactly what I was contemplating.

Great Idea! I didn't think of the trunk.... a cigarette light socket would do the trick and safely! I would upgrade the wire to a thcker gauge and don't forget the fuse for it placed next to the socket for easy check/replacement.

Cigarette lighter socket....That's perfect!

You could also use it for other cool stuff too. Emergency light, power invertor, TV, Etc.

And of course who ever is taking a ride in the trunk with a shovel can enjoy a smoke. (dark joke)

BMW did think of this and there is a much easier way to get into your car if your battery dies. The following is from BMWe34.net, it worked for me when my battery died.

My battery is dead, I am lock out, how do I unlock the doors?
    • To unlock the passenger door, turn the key past the normal unlock position while raising the door handle. Release handle and lift again to open the door.

Alot of people find this not working... the reason is previous owners removed the physical linkage because that is also the way to break into the car without key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast