GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Removing the ECU?

Default Removing the ECU?

So as the parting out continues I am faced with a dilema. How do I safely remove the ECU? Can anyone direct me to a write up of how to do this or walk me through it? I've heard its simple, but I don't want to break/damage anything. Thanks!

Jason

Default I think Bruno's site has it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    So as the parting out continues I am faced with a dilema. How do I safely remove the ECU? Can anyone direct me to a write up of how to do this or walk me through it? I've heard its simple, but I don't want to break/damage anything. Thanks!

Jason
    For replacing the chip, there's a set of instruction on removing the ECU. Very simple - just undo the black cover (Phillips head screws IIRC), unbolt the ECU box from the carrier rails, unclip the connector (big SCSI looking thing) and you're done. Rumour has it you don't have to disconnect the battery but I did for mine anyway just to be sure there was no chance of a hot wire doing anything.

HTH

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

When I did my EAT chip I didn't disconnect the battery, I hate having to reset stuff, radio code, etc. It is very easy to remove.
    After doing it once, you'll probably wonder what the big deal is.

ah okey. So i'm stupid so, ECU = DME?

Default I have had my ECU out of the car several times,

and also never unhooked the battery. Most instructions I have read do not say to disconnect it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    When I did my EAT chip I didn't disconnect the battery, I hate having to reset stuff, radio code, etc. It is very easy to remove.
    After doing it once, you'll probably wonder what the big deal is.

Default IMHO,and from what i read here and there,its

recommended that you disconnect the battery,then wait at least 45 seconds then take out the main relay,then take out the DME and try not to touch the pins with your fingers to avoid static electricity in your body from causing possible damage to it...
    good luck

jj

Default Not quite - static electricity can be a problem, but it is

not related to the car battery being connected. Also, after the first time I did it, I have never been too concerned about static electricity. I just make certain I do the work with the electronic board in an area where I don't rub my feet on any rugs, etc.

The only issue with leaving the car battery hooked up is if somebody tries to start the car while the ECU is out of it, which can cause a problem in the electronics. Should be a situation totally under your control and that possibility seems quite remote.

I hate to reset the stuff when the battery is removed, and so I was very anal in checking on whether or not it is necessary.

It isn't, and that is why most places that discuss this project never even mention it.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by jj7
    recommended that you disconnect the battery,then wait at least 45 seconds then take out the main relay,then take out the DME and try not to touch the pins with your fingers to avoid static electricity in your body from causing possible damage to it...
    good luck

jj