GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: oil filters, what's the difference?

Default oil filters, what's the difference?

did the first oil change, just wondering what filter i pulled out of it. it seems to be better then the new one i bought at the dealer...

oil filters

the new one looks like a Mehyle or mann and the old one looks like some substandard filter.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i take it you have an m50?????

from my personal experience, the stp and purolator usually say made in india or made in mexico. the fram (yech) usually say the same. all three look the same. the unused filter in your picture look like one of the three aforementioned. the used one looks like a mahle, i don't think i've ever seen a mann for an m50, i think they make more m30 units.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Actually, that looks like a standard mann to me (ha ha...yes, it never gets old, I know).

When I did my first oil change, I pulled a filter out of my M30 that was 1/2 covered by the metal strainer type device shown on the old filter. The new one (a mann) DOESN'T have the metal part.

The last time I spoke with Patrick at BMA, I asked him about it; I don't think he knew what I was talking about. At that time, I ordered another mann filter and once again, it's 100% paper and lacks the metal part. So maybe the metal part is a Mahle addition....dunno. I'm not sure what it does (another big, illogically-placed magnet, perhaps?), but I'd sure like to find out.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 02-17-2005 at 02:24 PM.

The used filter (in your picture) is a substandard (fram, Purolator). Years ago one of these partially disintegrated in my engine, no damage but not good.
    The new one (in your picture) is an older style Mann.
    Newer style Mann filters do not have a metal top and bottom. They are using a hard pressed synthetic material. Either Mann should be fine.

The new filter looks like a Mann to me. At least I think they're Mann filters, I've ordered a few from BMA and they come in a box with green on it (I sound like my wife). I've used the cheaper metal clad type in a pinch, with no ill-effects.

Best of luck,

DAve M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Interesting! Now the caveat: my old filter was a genuine BMW part...but I couldn't find the manufacturer on it; so the question remains -- anyone have any idea who made it? Again, it was a half metal strainer version with metal tops, pulled out of an M30. Best, whit

sorry, let me revise my previous statement. i thought it was a purolator/fram/stp becaue those have somewhat "cheap" looking endcaps. all three of those, however, have the metal or paper caps around their diameter. i didn't realise the one in your picture didn't have the cap around it. those three are marked china/mexico, have cardboard caps, and look somewhat "cheaper" than the mahle unit, which has a more substantial cap.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Ray, I guess that everybody uses their tis for

Drink coasters only otherwise they would know that all the newer filters you buy from bmw are going to evironmentally sound and use as little metal as possible to help reduce waste of metal. They've been this way for awhile. All evotop filters are going to have no metal in them which are the current best filters from Mann. Mahle also has a similar version but you can get them either way but not from the dealer. Your original filter looks just like this new Mahle i have pictured here and the Mann evotop is next to it... Eventually you will only find metalfree filters and the construction is fine.

Default German made filters

I recommend you use German made oil filters like Mahle, Mann, Hengst or Bosch. When I buy 10 at a time, my local auto parts store sells me Mahle OX41D (which includes gasket/o-ring kit) for like $3 each. At that price, its not worth screwing around with purolator, fram, etc.