GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Now the fun starts

Default Now the fun starts

I've bought a very lovely 540 touring 6 speeder in black etc.@ 97500 mi.It starts and runs beautifully...apart from some vibration around 2000 rpm-on the throttle and as the revs drop.When the car is cold the idle @ 750 rpm is very smooth,yet warm and after various high speed antics idles well at 600,albeit with a very slight vibration.I've cleaned out the spark plug wells and fitted new NGK plugs.Plugs were textbook light brownish grey.I'm happy to live with this,unless it means I'm in for a Nik horror.
    I love the torque and noise!

P G

Default you mention Nikasil...

so is this an e34 or e39 540? It really helps on this board to insert year or "E" model info since we are not "E" model specific here....it helps clear up any confusion like above where there is an e34 540 & e39 540.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

It's an E34 and it's a not had the alusil fix.

Regards

P G

Peter we had this v8 vibration conversation about a year ago and the consensus was that we all get some sort of mild vibration somewhere around 2000rpms. When my Nika was failing I chased it as a miss and replaced everything and the miss never went away until...i replaced the plug boots. Now I have a very slight vibe at about 2k but not like it was before. Before in the summer at an idle with the air on there was a serious miss, the door when open would vibrate up and down like a very serious problem.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default NCN(New Car Neurosis)

The wonderful thing with forums such as this is they are a perfect antidote for NCN.I'm thoroughly enjoying piling on the miles with this wonderful vehicle and its also of a quality that makes maintenance a real pleasure

I didn't know they made a 540imT. That sounds like a really great vehicle - post a pic or two when you can.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Congrats on the new purchase -being a touring with the 6 speed makes that a REALLY rare BMW for the States and I would guess anywhere else for that matter. -Post a pic for us!

Default 540i 6 speed production numbers

It seems that 540i 6 speeds in general were relatively rare. Info gleaned from another site shows the following:

There were a maximum of 515 540i/6 Touring in LHD built. So you have one of only 515 made and certainly far fewer still on the road.

My understanding is that the bulk of the 515 were sold in Europe, so there would only be a handful in the US.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Congrats on the new purchase -being a touring with the 6 speed makes that a REALLY rare BMW for the States and I would guess anywhere else for that matter. -Post a pic for us!