GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cleaning throttle body- is there a problem?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cleaning throttle body- is there a problem?

I was told by a very good indy NOT to clean the throttle body on my car with ASC+T. Not sure why? He seemed to indicate that it was not needed as well as difficult? When I asked this on the board, everyone seemed to think there was no problem. Is my indy missing something here? I am ready to go, I even bought new gaskets for the throttle body.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

he may be thinking about a car with eml (which should also need cleaning but could be dammaged) your car shouldn't be a problem
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Buy some actual throttle body cleaner for the job and be careful not to flood the end where the throttle position switch is mounted. It can run right through the clearances on the throttle shaft and get into the tps where it can possibly damage it. But you really have to flood it to do that. If your going to clean it on the car just take some cotton rags, spray the cleaner into the throttle bore and wipe it out., then hold the throttle bore wide open and spray both sides of the butterfly and throttle bore and wipe out. Then I would remove the idle control valve and clean it out with the throttle body spray also.
    (copied words/comments from Rainman)

Default Thanks for the advice

I have the gaskets and proper throttle body cleaner ready to go. May do this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I was told by a very good indy NOT to clean the throttle body on my car with ASC+T. Not sure why? He seemed to indicate that it was not needed as well as difficult? When I asked this on the board, everyone seemed to think there was no problem. Is my indy missing something here? I am ready to go, I even bought new gaskets for the throttle body.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment