GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 strut bars

Default e34 strut bars

Hey, why does there seem to be so few options when it comes to a strut brace for an e34? It seems like the racing dynamics bar is the only one available. Why no sparco or AC, etc.? Anyways, anyone know why this is, if the racing dynamics bar is any good, or know where I can find other options?

Thanks,

David

Because it does virtually nothing for an already well designed suspension
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default Here are some other opinions on the subject:

Quote Originally Posted by dlee
    Hey, why does there seem to be so few options when it comes to a strut brace for an e34? It seems like the racing dynamics bar is the only one available. Why no sparco or AC, etc.? Anyways, anyone know why this is, if the racing dynamics bar is any good, or know where I can find other options?

Thanks,

David
    A recent post:
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8840

As I said in My post - they probably do something or else the ///M's wouldn't have had them installed from the factory.

Some agree, others disagree - hence the "forum" aspect.

As to why only RD is common, I suspect the market isn't there since it's a custom fab job. I think there are other brands, maybe Dinan, I think I saw one on ebay recently.

I have the RD bar and it is fine - nothing wrong with it but I've not tried anything else, nor done any real experimenting on how much good it does with or without the bar. If you really want one and can get one cheap - go for it!
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

http://www.e30m3performance.com/myth...bar_theory.htm

Might want to read that. I haven't gone through the analysis myself to see if it holds water since I don't have the cash for one myself, but perhaps you could and write a book report for homework.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Thanks,

David
    Hi,

If you want some real world data on whether or not a brace would do anything for your car then try this. Take some dental floss (everyone should have some around the house because they floss daily ) and tie one side to a door knob and the other to a pencil or your finger. Pull really hard and watch the floss snap noting the force required to snap it. Next, go out to your car and tie one one end of a string of floss to one shock tower (nut under the dust cover or one of the mounting nuts) and tension the floss very tightly with the other side on the opposite mount as if it were a strut brace. Go out and drive your favorite road, autocross course, and/or race course as sprited as you like. Periodically check the floss and see if it has snapped. If your chasis is flexing to a point where the floss breaks then you may benefit from a brace, if not then it is strictly for looks. I am willing to bet that very few people could get their E34 to snap the floss and none in a "legal" driving situation.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Default 101 Physics... great stuff!!!

As Robin pointed out, opinions vary but in the end, when you have gathered all the evidence about the function of a strut brace, you will be convinced that it does have a positive effect despite blurts to the contrary with nothing to back it up. ...and the post about the theory is icing on the cake. The author, however, could've taken his analysis a step further by including the effects of tire width on the forces exerted on the struts and such.

There are also benefits as far as prolonging the life of suspension components is concerned. Some say that alignment angles and spring rates are greatly maintained with a SB. The fact is, you get most out of a SB when you are really after peak suspension performance, like on the track.

Ditto from this end, get one if it's cheap.

Default Wow! The floss trick... You are a smart one, dude.

ntxt

You can't compare the M3's to the E34. Take a look at the M5's.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

TCD sells strut bars for the E34 as well as some trick turbo kits. You can see the pics of the bar when looking at their turbo kit pics.

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm

Default link to a thread from last mo.

Thanks,

David
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...53485#poststop