GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Dashboard removal, airbag a problem?

Default Dashboard removal, airbag a problem?

So far, my track record on DIY repairs is pretty good. Resoldered a LKM and cleaned out a Throttle Position Sensor.

Just yesterday, one of the bulbs in the instrument panel went out (the transmission indicator). According to various websites, I'll have to remove the steering wheel. Since I've got SRS, the air bag will have to come out.

According to some websites (http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/imag...gAndBulbs.html), this is fairly straightforward. The Bentley manual; however, sounds much more ominous.

Is the process as scary as it sounds? If one follows the instructions and disconnects the battery before disconnecting the SRS, is there a risk that the thing will go boom?

Also, is it necessary to replace the locking nut when removing the wheel? Is this a dealer-only part?

Thanks,

Norman

Default dashboard removal

you can just about squeeze the instrument pod out without removing the steering wheel it takes some effort,but make sure you move the steering wheel back if you have ajustment on it ,the nut is a 22mm nut with a nylon locking thread on the end so if you decide to remove the wheel you should buy a new one,from the dealer ,hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElNormo
    So far, my track record on DIY repairs is pretty good. Resoldered a LKM and cleaned out a Throttle Position Sensor.

Just yesterday, one of the bulbs in the instrument panel went out (the transmission indicator). According to various websites, I'll have to remove the steering wheel. Since I've got SRS, the air bag will have to come out.

According to some websites (http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/imag...gAndBulbs.html), this is fairly straightforward. The Bentley manual; however, sounds much more ominous.

Is the process as scary as it sounds? If one follows the instructions and disconnects the battery before disconnecting the SRS, is there a risk that the thing will go boom?

Also, is it necessary to replace the locking nut when removing the wheel? Is this a dealer-only part?

Thanks,

Norman

dissconnect the battery and the bag will be ok
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Hi Norman, as Winfred said, disconnect the battery and wait

5 minutes and you should be ok, if you read further down on my airbag page you'll at the end i say that you can just put some loctite on the bolt or nut and reuse it...

Quote Originally Posted by ElNormo

Thanks,

Norman

Thanks all for your help. Today, the light mysteriously decided to start working again. Perhaps a loose connection. If it dies again, I'll try opening it up.

Norman

I've removed my steering wheel so many times, i can usually get it off in about 5 minutes and replace it just as fast. Not a very difficult task. One thing that you MUST remember to do is to... DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. I'm not yelling, this is very, very, very important step in the process. Many of your comrade of dicided to skip this step only to have to locate a SRS Reset Tool later.

Please disconnect the battery.

Norman - mine's doing that, too. I think it's a dash capacitor gone bad. Usually, mine will turn on after the car runs for a while. This only started happening after I pulled the dash module last week (don't ask). I checked the bulb out and it was fine...so mine is probably a capacitor issue - hopefully, yours isn't.

best, whit

i just taken out the dashboard today. its not very hard, take out the 2 top screws and pull out the dash, remember to have the wheels straight, when you have it out all the way to the steering wheel, turn the wheel left so the dash comes out with the turning of the wheel

Mark K