GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What's Worng With My Blower?

Default What's Worng With My Blower?

Last night my wife and I were driving home when I felt a really strange vibration down near my feet. I got real nervous, because I drove my 5 kinda hard going home.

When I pulled into my driveway I started messing with stuff int he cabin to try get at the cause. The vobration was coming from the center consol down by our feet.

The vibration has something to do with the blower motor. When I turned the fan on and left the knob in 12 o'clock high position the vibration was pronunced. Flik the switch to #2 and it went away.
    What's Up?

Info:
    -I'm not sure how long ago the cabin filter was changed
    -Twice now I've had a high-pitched squeal on a cold morning that sped up with blower speed, eventually going away. That pitch sounded in the dash near the windsheild.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks! -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Probably your blower motor is on the way out. Bearing I assume. Is not cheap to replace it.
    Will set you back about 220 $
    But first remove it and see if it is correctly mounted there or if just something is loose.
    http://replacement.autopartswarehous...C+Blower+Motor

Default Stupid Question

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Probably your blower motor is on the way out. Bearing I assume. Is not cheap to replace it.
    Will set you back about 220 $
    But first remove it and see if it is correctly mounted there or if just something is loose.
    http://replacement.autopartswarehous...C+Blower+Motor
    Shogun,
    Is the procedure covered in the Bently manual? I ask because mine hasn't arrived yet.
    -ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Use my website and then go to Gale's page, he repaired the motor, so it is shown how to remove it.

Couldn't you just replace the bad bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    Last night my wife and I were driving home when I felt a really strange vibration down near my feet. I got real nervous, because I drove my 5 kinda hard going home.

When I pulled into my driveway I started messing with stuff int he cabin to try get at the cause. The vobration was coming from the center consol down by our feet.

The vibration has something to do with the blower motor. When I turned the fan on and left the knob in 12 o'clock high position the vibration was pronunced. Flik the switch to #2 and it went away.
    What's Up?

Info:
    -I'm not sure how long ago the cabin filter was changed
    -Twice now I've had a high-pitched squeal on a cold morning that sped up with blower speed, eventually going away. That pitch sounded in the dash near the windsheild.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks! -ashley
    Well the squeal indicates it may indeed be a bearing beginning to seize up but the other thing I was going to suggest was something caught in the blower turbine blades. Some paper, leaves, a sweet wrapper, business card, a large deceased insect, a pen, a piece from a childs toy. I have even seen a dead mouse and a condom! (And no... the mouse wasn't wearing the condom! ) Don't laugh if anything like this manages to get caught in the turbine it will throw it out of balance causing major vibrations which lessen as the speed drops. Most fan noises/vibrations I have seen in my time are usually things caught in the fan. Good luck.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Don't laugh if anything like this manages to get caught in the turbine it will throw it out of balance causing major vibrations which lessen as the speed drops.
    I figured I had a bearing going out...

But the big vibration actually stops as the fan speed increases.
    -ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!