GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E30 M3 or E34 M5??

Default E30 M3 or E34 M5??

I`m looking for some second opinions on this.
    I have my eye on a couple of cars, and am looking
    to get some input for both.
    I`m trying to decide if I should buy an E30 M3 (1988),
    or an E34 M5 (1993). I really like both cars alot, but
    can`t decide.
    I have been into volkswagens for the better part
    of my driving days, so aside from looks, I`m not
    to sure about bimmers.
    Are there any advantages/disadavantages
    to either? Since this a 5 series forum, I`m sure opinions
    will vary I appreciate any feedback.

after i drove one for a while i came away from the e30 m3 underwhelmed by it's power, it handles real nice and the aerodynamic changes make it feel better at over 100 then a normal e30, but the lack of torque after coming out of my 325is kinda sucks, you may not notice it. i 've not had the oportunity to drive a e34 m5 and can't really coment on it besides the fact my 535 hauls ass and a extra 60-70 hp has got to be cool to go with the slightly better suspension
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Are you looking for room for two or four? I would go a little bigger and go for the M5. I agree with Winfred because my 535im is sweet and more power would be awesome.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Default Who wouldn't want to.....

....be able to smoke Vettes and Supras at a stop light with three passengers and six bags of groceries???

Go for the M5.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

if i were in your situation i'd get the m3
    because of the weight difference - i'm
    young and don't have need for hauling
    family/ikea stuff so i'd get a light car and
    make it very very fast.

be careful though, coming from a vw background
    u may not be familiar with a rwd handling car =]
    don't over cook it =]

Default M5 M5 M5 M5 M5 M5 M5 M5 M5 M5

Quote Originally Posted by NH004
    I`m looking for some second opinions on this.
    I have my eye on a couple of cars, and am looking
    to get some input for both.
    I`m trying to decide if I should buy an E30 M3 (1988),
    or an E34 M5 (1993). I really like both cars alot, but
    can`t decide.
    I have been into volkswagens for the better part
    of my driving days, so aside from looks, I`m not
    to sure about bimmers.
    Are there any advantages/disadavantages
    to either? Since this a 5 series forum, I`m sure opinions
    will vary I appreciate any feedback.
    Man, go with the M5!

Why?
    -There are fewer of them around = residual value
    -The M5 is a more capable car (i.e. move more people, bags, etc...)
    -The M5 will be a more comfortable ride.
    -The torque will rock your spleen (I have an 525ia M50 and it rocks off the line)
    -6 cyclinders vs. 4
    -Sleeper value (most people know the M3 and it's power, most stoplight drag-heads will think your car is an outdated hunk o' junk daddy mobile; that is until you leave them choking on your tire smoke.)

Yeah, it's heavier and bigger and inherently more thirsty, but hey you gotta pay to play.

I'm not a racer, but I have yet to meet an e30 that I didn't surprise (especially after they tick me off with the "revving my engine because I'm cool and I have a big doober" thing). They always beat me in the end (because I WON'T do 50+mph through a neighborhood) but not before they bow to the mighty stock 525i with bottle-caps. Wow, now I'm pontificating.
    -ashley
    Last edited by granit_silber; 02-11-2005 at 04:37 PM.

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

so u beat a 325i with your automatic 525? i find that hard to believe....

Without any doubt, the M3 gives you much more emotion when driving it to the limit.
    The M5 is a very heavy car with a lot of power but unfortunately, it wheighs about 400 kgs more then the M3. The M5 is a VERY comfortable car but a s for driving emotions stays far behind the M3.
    I have to agree with Winfred, the four is too weak and lacks tourque, that's why I've replaced the S14 engine with an M30 engine which should be ready within three weeks after the turbo kit arrives. It will be a whole other ballgame then. This car will slay an M5 easily with this upgrade. It's up to you.

I'd go with the E30 M3.

I haven't driven either, but from what I've read about e30 M3s, they are the real deal in terms of being an actual streat legal competition race car.
    Lighter, more nimble and responsive, I think I'd be the better drive.

I read an article recently where 3 editors tested all 3 generations of M3s around a competition course. The E30 was everyone's favorite. No ****. They said because it was so light and direct, and had a killer exhaust note. Not the fastest, but the most fun.

M5's are incredible no doubt, but I don't think you can beat flinging a solid, yet very light race car around your favorite twisties.

I want either an e30 M3 or an e28 M5.

The M5's are hand built, if that means anything. There were only about 1400 of them shipped to the States. Parts for either car are about 30% more than their lesser siblings, except for the engine. The engine alone can cost $8-12k for a rebuild if you happen to end up with a turd. Maintenance costs can eat you alive if you can't turn the wrenches. On the other hand.....

There's nothing like stomping the pedal in second doing 45 mph and seeing the tach swing up to redline about as fast as you can blink your eye, by the time you've hammered into 3rd and another blink of the eye, you're shifting into 4th at 100mph...and then... she really comes alive!!!

Although the E30 M3 is a classic, not to mention the king of the track in it's day, the E34 M5 has to be one of the best kept secrets around.

You can't go wrong with either choice, but it's like comparing apples to oranges and as the others have pointed out, it depends on how you want to use it.

Good luck,
    Jr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast