GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench Confusion (kinda long)

Default Torque Wrench Confusion (kinda long)

So I wandered in to my local Sears today to scope out a torque wrentch.
    After finally finding someone who worked in the tool department, I asked where the torque wrentches were. He "politely" pionted me to the back of the store in a manner that said "I don't have time for customers."

Sensing he apparent frustration with me, I decided to push him over the edge by actually asking a question. I asked if he knew the diffence between a beam-style wrench and the standard or non-beam style wrench

For a few seconds he looked at me the way I look at women who bring a hairdryer on a two week hike. Then spouted off "you need to know this, and , this, and this. When you figure that out come back."

So now that I look like an idiot already, doesn't hurt to ask you what I need to know. This whole episode started because one of you, in an earlier post, said not to buy the beam style wrench because they go out of calibration; so I hoping that you'll help me out.

Here are the questions...

I saw two types of wrenches this afternoon. One had the settings in the handle and operated like a cordless drill's adjustable clutch. The second type had a large scale on the front with number on it, and a big arm that came off the main section of the wrench. This arm pointed at the numbers and you stopped pulling when it reaches your goal.

1st question:
    Which one is the one NOT to buy????? The prices were $80-90 for the numbers in the handle kind and $30 for the weird scale record player kind. I suspect I know the answer, but need confirmation

2nd question:
    Need to know what torque range I need (i.e. 0-75, 0-85, 0-150, etc)

3rd question:
    What size "head" do I want? (3/8, 1/2, etc..)

4th question:
    Foot Pounds or inches??

5th question:
    Is there anything else I should know before I bust up into Jr.'s world? (not JR///M5 )

Thanks,
    -ashley "the torque wrench virgin "

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

What are you planning on working on? For lug nuts and such, a 0-150 is usually good, with a 1/2 drive head. For 'normal' bolts, a 0-80 is good, and for oil pans and valve covers, you'll want an inch-pounds wrench.

that about covers it, the click type doesn't requier you to pay much attention to it, you need to look at the beam type which isn't allways conveinant to see when to stop pulling
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default The beam style was the one you saw with the long arm on it, the clicker type is the

one you want with the handle that screws in or out to change the torque setting and its marked on the handle as you rotate it like a micrometer..for what you are probably going to use it for the cheapo ones at harbor freight are going to be just as accurate for all intents and purposes. For torquing lug nuts and such i only use a cheapo one. The better cheapo click type will let you torque in either direction for those rare occasions when you have to torque a reverse thread or when you want to see just how much torque it takes to break something loose that you think is overtorqued...

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    So I wandered in to my local Sears today to scope out a torque wrentch.
    After finally finding someone who worked in the tool department, I asked where the torque wrentches were. He "politely" pionted me to the back of the store in a manner that said "I don't have time for customers."

Sensing he apparent frustration with me, I decided to push him over the edge by actually asking a question. I asked if he knew the diffence between a beam-style wrench and the standard or non-beam style wrench

For a few seconds he looked at me the way I look at women who bring a hairdryer on a two week hike. Then spouted off "you need to know this, and , this, and this. When you figure that out come back."

So now that I look like an idiot already, doesn't hurt to ask you what I need to know. This whole episode started because one of you, in an earlier post, said not to buy the beam style wrench because they go out of calibration; so I hoping that you'll help me out.

Here are the questions...

I saw two types of wrenches this afternoon. One had the settings in the handle and operated like a cordless drill's adjustable clutch. The second type had a large scale on the front with number on it, and a big arm that came off the main section of the wrench. This arm pointed at the numbers and you stopped pulling when it reaches your goal.

1st question:
    Which one is the one NOT to buy????? The prices were $80-90 for the numbers in the handle kind and $30 for the weird scale record player kind. I suspect I know the answer, but need confirmation

2nd question:
    Need to know what torque range I need (i.e. 0-75, 0-85, 0-150, etc)

3rd question:
    What size "head" do I want? (3/8, 1/2, etc..)

4th question:
    Foot Pounds or inches??

5th question:
    Is there anything else I should know before I bust up into Jr.'s world? (not JR///M5 )

Thanks,
    -ashley "the torque wrench virgin "

Get a COBALT from home depot, made by snalop, costs like 100 bux and last time I checked mine it was within 1 lb
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The Beam type do not generally need to be recalibrated- the "clicker" type are supposed to be calibrated on a regular basis- though it's hard to find a place in most cities to get it calibrated for less than the cost of a new wrench!!

FYI- the Craftsman torque wrenches are NOT covered by their handtool lifetime warranty- read the fine print on the package- I think it's a 1 year warranty.

I have a 1/2" drive Craftsman clicker type wrench- use it mostly for headbolts and lugbolts- the other less important stuff gets tightened by feel. I also have a couple of the el-cheapo 1/2" drive wrenches- 2 of them are broken and I use them as breaker bars- the 3rd one is calibrated almost exactly the same as the craftsman.

I would recommend getting a 1/2" drive el-cheapo (should be ~$20 or so)- unless you are doing LOTS of critical fastener tightening. You can check it occasionally against someone else's wrench, just to see if they are close. Even the best clicker type wrench is going to have a bit of variance.

Bret.

the home user is not really going to wear out the calibration on a clicker, my dial type 175lb snap on torque-o-meter last rebuilt in 97 finally needed to be rebuilt a few months ago at the cost of $40 by snap on. i also have a 250# proto that i love and a matco 125# (don't like the adjustment feature on that one) both clickers
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default What do I plan to do with the wrenches?

Thanks for all of the info so far. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was out of my office all afternoon.

Mr. Project asked what I was going to do with the wrenches.
    I want to begin working on my car. I'll start with oil changes and progress from there. When my car needs it, I want to change out the control arms, shocks and all that.

For now, I need the wrenches for my lugnuts; later I guess I'll need them to do work on the engine (not major stuff like head work, etc)

So which ones do I buy?
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

My opinion: Buy one of the cheap ones- 1/2" drive that covers 0-100 or 0-150 ft-lbs. That will cover lug bolts. The engine stuff does not really require a torque wrench except things like headbolts, etc- which sounds like you won't be doing, and if you decide to do them- this wrench will cover them.

In my opinion, you don't need a small "in-lbs" wrench to do things like valve cover nuts and other small fasteners- as long as you don't put the gorilla arm on them!!

Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    Thanks for all of the info so far. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was out of my office all afternoon.

Mr. Project asked what I was going to do with the wrenches.
    I want to begin working on my car. I'll start with oil changes and progress from there. When my car needs it, I want to change out the control arms, shocks and all that.

For now, I need the wrenches for my lugnuts; later I guess I'll need them to do work on the engine (not major stuff like head work, etc)

So which ones do I buy?
    -ashley

Default Let me qualify my earlier statements. I use a torque wrench

5 days a week almost every week for the last 32 years. Winfred and possibly Brett use one a fair amount of time too... Unless you're going to use it every day then you're absolutely throwing money away on any torque wrench over 20 dollars. Period The cheap ones from harbor freight for 9.99 have guaranteed accuracy to 4% and carry a lifetime warranty on the wrench... Once upon a time i bought nothing but snap on tools but as i've aged and hopefully gotten wiser i've realized that they are uneeded for 90% of what i do and i'm wasting money getting them for jobs that don't absolutely require snapon quality. For the last 15 years I haven't purchased any snap on sockets since sears , husky , proto etc are just as good a quality nowdays provided you get the right tools that they make. In purchasing combination wrenches i would not buy cheap tools such as harbor freight, in that case i would buy the craftsmen professional , snapon , proto etc.. since their pro line wrenches are a little stronger with tighter specs that allow you to get a wrench into places that the cheapos won't fit. Here's a link to the 9.99 special at harbor freight that i'm talking abouttorque wrench

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast