GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aubrey's driving days are done for a while...

Default Aubrey's driving days are done for a while...

Saturday was a beautiful day here in the Midwest, sunny and about 60 degrees, as many of you experienced. I dropped Aubrey off at the Boy Scouts about 6am for one of their winter outings took care of some errands then uncovered the M5 and pulled it out of the garage and took a few laps around my favorite roads before polishing it and covering it back up for the duration of the winter. Then the phone rang...it was about 4pm by that time.

Mr England? Aubrey has had a skiing accident, we are taking him to the hospital, we think his leg is broken. Talking to Aubs on the phone confirmed what I had been told. Dad, I'm pretty sure I've broken my leg. Oh, no!!! The boys had went to Snow Star Resort for a day on the slopes, and Aubrey was a competent skier. But a slight mistake of lifting his leg on the high speed downhill proved otherwise. They took him to the hospital that was about 30 minutes from the resort. Trouble is, the hospital was about 100 miles from our house!

Waiting for the call from the hospital was sheer torture, but finally the phone rang and the Dr on the other end proceeds to inform me that Aubrey not only broke his right leg, he also fractured the OTHER one!!! They were going to have to do surgery right away before it was too late. How fast can I get there???? Did I unwrap the M5??....no, it's got summer tires and I don't care if it is 60 degrees today. Tomorrow it could snow 2 feet! Natalie came home about that time and I played the imminent domain card and took her Mercedes, besides the ride would be better for Aubrey later.

The little 4 cylinder Benz cruises at 90-100 pretty easily, and I arrive safely in order for the surgery to begin after a short briefing, despite getting lost in an area I've never been before and having the hospital call every 5 minutes wondering if I'm there yet. Finally a young man guided me in on the phone.

We just got back today, Aubrey has plates and screws all over his legs, and a nice new pair of red "boots" (casts). We were very glad to get home, but his life won't be the same for the next 6-9 weeks. His birthday comes up on the 20th, and he turns 15. We've been practicing driving the 318iS, and he has been doing very well, but it looks like he's lost his license before he got them. But what worries me is after he takes his pain medication he wants to race me on Gran Turismo Playstation 2. =)

It's been a long week so far, about 5 hours sleep since Saturday, but the boy is going to be fine.

Jr

oh man glad to hear he's ok!
    just promise him to drive the m5 and i'll be he heals REAL fast =]

Default Kind of puts the deer-dent thing in perspective, huh?

I hope all are home safe and relatively sound for now. I had a roommate my freshman year who broke his femur and was in a toe-to-hip cast for about 4 months. I remember his parents thinking that he would never be the same, let alone continue being the great racketball player he was. Flash forward four years and my roomie John was the #3 ranked player in the Country. Thank goodness for young strong bodies.

Now about that "gray cloud" following you around...............

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default Sorry about the kid, glad he is OK ...

but know it is allways a pain the days he will be facing. Hope for a quick recovery.

Javier

Default Oh man , i'm really sorry to hear that Jr., I hope that

everything turns out ok..With any luck and the newer casts and medicine he'll be back to normal quickly.. more time for him to study up for that drivers test..

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Saturday was a beautiful day here in the Midwest, sunny and about 60 degrees, as many of you experienced. I dropped Aubrey off at the Boy Scouts about 6am for one of their winter outings took care of some errands then uncovered the M5 and pulled it out of the garage and took a few laps around my favorite roads before polishing it and covering it back up for the duration of the winter. Then the phone rang...it was about 4pm by that time.

Mr England? Aubrey has had a skiing accident, we are taking him to the hospital, we think his leg is broken. Talking to Aubs on the phone confirmed what I had been told. Dad, I'm pretty sure I've broken my leg. Oh, no!!! The boys had went to Snow Star Resort for a day on the slopes, and Aubrey was a competent skier. But a slight mistake of lifting his leg on the high speed downhill proved otherwise. They took him to the hospital that was about 30 minutes from the resort. Trouble is, the hospital was about 100 miles from our house!

Waiting for the call from the hospital was sheer torture, but finally the phone rang and the Dr on the other end proceeds to inform me that Aubrey not only broke his right leg, he also fractured the OTHER one!!! They were going to have to do surgery right away before it was too late. How fast can I get there???? Did I unwrap the M5??....no, it's got summer tires and I don't care if it is 60 degrees today. Tomorrow it could snow 2 feet! Natalie came home about that time and I played the imminent domain card and took her Mercedes, besides the ride would be better for Aubrey later.

The little 4 cylinder Benz cruises at 90-100 pretty easily, and I arrive safely in order for the surgery to begin after a short briefing, despite getting lost in an area I've never been before and having the hospital call every 5 minutes wondering if I'm there yet. Finally a young man guided me in on the phone.

We just got back today, Aubrey has plates and screws all over his legs, and a nice new pair of red "boots" (casts). We were very glad to get home, but his life won't be the same for the next 6-9 weeks. His birthday comes up on the 20th, and he turns 15. We've been practicing driving the 318iS, and he has been doing very well, but it looks like he's lost his license before he got them. But what worries me is after he takes his pain medication he wants to race me on Gran Turismo Playstation 2. =)

It's been a long week so far, about 5 hours sleep since Saturday, but the boy is going to be fine.

Jr

Hi Jr...
    Glad to hear that he is OK (Well, as OK as he can be with two broken legs...!)
    Being an accident prone kid myself (broke both arms and an ankle in a bicycle accident at 13!!!) I can say, reflectively, that it was an important part of my life's "learning experience" !!!
    Look on the bright side, he NOW knows what it is like to be hurt, at speed, doing the wrong thing (not many kids have the advantage of THAT lesson these days!!).
    Hopefully, it will help him deal with the task and reality of driving and you can instill both driving and safety skills into him that he will readily understand!

Now get a good nights sleep

All the best
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Default Glad to hear he's okay.

Skiing accidents can be pretty bad - we have a few areas near the city and I've had my share of falls... it can get pretty bad pretty fast if you're not lucky. And the torment of having a child hurt and far away... ah yes, the things parental nightmares are made of.

Look at the bright side. Chicks dig injured guys. Maybe he can get the prettiest girl in school to sign his cast...
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Hi Jr,
    As an avid skier, it can be a very dangerous sport. Thing is with young skiers it is who can make it to the bottom of the mountain the fastest. I have no doubt Aubrey will look back on the whole thing a few years from now and get a good laugh. I might add, your son is lucky to have such a great Dad.
    George

Oh man thats terrible! I'm glad they were able to patch him up good. How is Aubrey able to get around? I hope he heals well and fast so he can put this behind him and move forward again. (both legs wow)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the well wishes guys, I told Aubrey that you guys had posted your condolences and a big smile that I haven't seen much of in the past few days graced his face. By the way, he knows most of you guys via dad....

Thanks again, you helped brighten his day.

Jr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast