GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepper Motor Location?

Default Stepper Motor Location?

How do you get to this puppy? Through the console, the vent or the dreaded microfilter route? I just want to check some of the pins to track down a fault code.

tia,

tim
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

There are 10 stepper motors in total. Which one do you mean?
    On the E32 for the center vents you have to remove the radioo, then you can get to them with small hands.
    If you go to my website and then to Johan and Sean's page, click IHKA components, there are all stepper motors shown and their functions, as well as the temp sensors.

Thanks Shogun, that's a great site you have, and so is Johan and Sean's. After looking at his pictures of the center console removal, I think I've cured my desire to check these stepper motors.

Tim
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Tim,

the easiest to check the function of the stepper motors is to connect the car to the DIS at the dealer. It can be read from the ZKE (central body electronics) diagnosis.
    Not possible on older production cars such as my one from 1988 or even 1987.

Actually, I got the codes in question from a carsoft diagnostic.

They were
    a) 34 layering selector wheel (white pin #21)
    b) 61 layering flap motor (pin 23,24,24,26)

I have the three slide knobs for layering in my 540i, and the fresh air mix on the center vent seems to work. It may be that my carsoft is not properly reading my IHKA. But I do occasionally hear that groaning noise behind the dash and figured it was a bad stepper, or a broken flap or flap actuator. I don't get heat in the footwells either so it may be the flap to that one.

-tim
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Default Sorry Shogun, the e34 doesn't have 10 stepper motors like the

early e32 had, I believe the first generation e34 had 6 and then the numbers went down with each new generation ihkr...
    Tim, i still think that you don't have an error like i said before. I think that your early version carsoft is misreading your version of the stepper motor software since you have either 2 or 3 stepper motors on your car, instead of the 6 that the model that that software covered had.

This 2nd generation version had 5

This 3rd generation had 3

And I think that your 4th generation version has 2 based on the info that i have.

This brings up a problem I have with my 12/89 production 535i. In order to get good airflow to the defroster I have to shut off the dash & floor functions. Is it possible for the flaps to only partially open? I could live with it but if its easy to fix I might dig in there come summer.

Default Bill do you have diagrams for the IHKRF3?

At least I think this is what I need for the 95 525i built 1/95. This is great information.

I have wanted to see why I have fresh air coming into my center vents even with the center fresh air slider control locked on the left.

Bentley seems to have have as much on my 95 as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    early e32 had, I believe the first generation e34 had 6 and then the numbers went down with each new generation ihkr...
    Tim, i still think that you don't have an error like i said before. I think that your early version carsoft is misreading your version of the stepper motor software since you have either 2 or 3 stepper motors on your car, instead of the 6 that the model that that software covered had.

This 2nd generation version had 5

This 3rd generation had 3

And I think that your 4th generation version has 2 based on the info that i have.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Well It's a relief I only have two, and I agree the fault is likely generated by the software, not the car. I still would like to have a look, and perhaps at that flap too, since I haven't had heat in the footwells for awhile. It's at least 45 today and I'm freezin' (heh). So through the radio then? Or just friggen' fuggedaboudit?

BTW, I see your new sig and I'm voting for Kinky if he goes through with it. You ever seen him live?
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Oh you lucky guys, that you do not have that much stepper motors as the E32.
    Thanks Bill for the correction of my mistake. Thinking too much in terms of E32, hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast