GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E34 back from shop

Default E34 back from shop

I finally got my car back today with a new alternator, belts and A/T fluid/filter
    change. Some of my mechanical problems have been corrected. My headlights,
    interior lights no longer pulsate. The "Trans-Program" indicator no longer comes on. The check engine light does not flash any longer. Thank Goodness! But, I still have 2 small problems. First, My foglights and highbeams are completely out.
    Checked the fuses and visual of the LKM. Have no idea what to check next. Also
    the temperature pops up on the OBDisplay for no reason at all. If any of you gear heads or long time e34 owners have had this problem or can offer a suggestion it would be greatly appriciated.

Lorcet10s

Quote Originally Posted by lorcet10s
    Also the temperature pops up on the OBDisplay for no reason at all. If any of you gear heads or long time e34 owners have had this problem or can offer a suggestion it would be greatly appriciated.

Lorcet10s
    Not sure about your other problems, but I'm going to make a psychic guess here - Evey time the temp "pops us for no reason" it just happens to be 38 degrees F. or colder. Right?

As for the LKM, I'd take a close look under a magnifying glass at the solder joints. Wiggle the relays while inspecting the solder joints on the other side. It should be visable this way if you do have dry solder joints.
    Last edited by Mitch90535im; 02-02-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

Did you really examine the LKM good? You will probably need a magnifiying glass to see where the solder joints are cracked, the headlight relays are also known to stick. Did you have a look at Bruno's site about the LKM?

Does the temperature happen to be below 38 degrees farienheight? If so, it's a built in type of warning system BMW uses to warn drivers that there could be ice on the overpasses and shady areas of the highway.

Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Did you really examine the LKM good? You will probably need a magnifiying glass to see where the solder joints are cracked, the headlight relays are also known to stick. Did you have a look at Bruno's site about the LKM?

Does the temperature happen to be below 38 degrees farienheight? If so, it's a built in type of warning system BMW uses to warn drivers that there could be ice on the overpasses and shady areas of the highway.

Jr
    Great minds think alike...
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

YES, I knew I would find some answers here. The temperture pops up on the OBDisplay at 38 degrees. I feel better already, one less thing to fix. Now if I can get my High Beams and Foglight on, even better. I removed the LKM from the car and gave it a close visual inspection. I will check it again tommarow just to be sure. As for the relays, does anyone want to guess what relay to check first? I must say, Ive become very handy with a soldering iron since Ive had my e34. Its a 92 525ia.

Thanks for the input,

Alan

Check out this site Alan, here's a link to the LKM and it's repair. Read it over and study it before you tear into the LKM and you'll succeed.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...trical/LKM.htm

This link is provided by Brunos Website that is filled with all kinds of information about your E34.

Good Luck,
    Jr

ummmmmmmm if you are trying to get the high beams and the fog lights on simutaneously forget it. Most states have laws prohibiting the use of both fog and highbeam at the same time and the car will be wired with relays to prohibit this option. It will either be low beams and fogs, or just highbeams. Good luck...........
    Last edited by pmlmotorsports; 02-02-2005 at 10:55 PM. Reason: mistake in comment

Quote Originally Posted by pmlmotorsports
    ummmmmmmm if you are trying to get the high beams and the fog lights on simutaneously forget it. Most states have laws prohibiting the use of both fog and highbeam at the same time and the car will be wired with relays to prohibit this option. It will either be low beams and fogs, or just highbeams. Good luck...........

Ditto - I misread the original post. Fog lights will only work with low-beams only (as it should be I might add).