GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition switch/lock?

Default Ignition switch/lock?

Went to start my 95' 525i but the key would only go into the ignition about a quarter of an inch. I figured it was a lock tumbler that had slipped. I was able to move the tumbler out of the way and get the key in completly, but now when I turn the key, I get nothing.

Something is not connecting. Should I use contact fluid or WD 40? Do I need a new ignition lock? or maybe a switch?

only use locksmith's graphite, which you can get at any hardware store or auto shop. Once you get the key back in, move it around, turn the steering wheel a bit, and give it a go.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

OK, I used the locksmith graphite, and it seized up completely. That's not normal...

I had almost the exact same thing happen recently. I removed the ignition lock cylinder and had it replaced by the Dealer. I'm now waiting for a new plastic ring that goes around the cylinder and has the electrical pickup for the transducers in the key. When I get that I'll put it all back together and hope it works. Go here to see hoe to pull the lock cylinder. http://evansweb.info/article.php?sto...30119001513995

Yeah, I tried like he!! to get that b@$t@rd out, but no budge. I've got a unique method of intimidation with jammed parts.

First, stare down... then shake, then coerce, then plead, then pray, then shake more, then lube, then bang, then cuss, then get beer, then start over. You'd be amazed at how often it works, or else I get drunk early in the day.

The instructions make it look a lot easier than it is to remove the lock cylinder. I put in a couple of hours with various "tools" trying to get it out. I ended up "punting" and calling a locksmith who spent about 45 minutes until he got the cylinder out.

Looks like it's time for me to punt. I am and calling AAA and my mechanic.

Update,...I installed the new lock cylinder and no change. The ignition key turns, but nothing happens. Now I think it may be the ignition switch. I'm kinda stuck here because the steering and shifter are locked, can't get the car out of the garage. Need a mechanic who does house calls!!

AAA towed her off yesterday, and $$$$ later, I'll have it back today. I'll post what they fixed specifically. Mechanic says this is a frequent problem that they run into alll the time.

wonder how much this will run.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast