GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found the cause of my oil consumption.

Default vacuum leak can cause popping,

bad plugs can cause problems with missing/unburnt fuel leading to popping, as stated above could be a loose plug, you have a serious oil useage problem. any leaks at all? must be burning a smoke cloud if it isn't.

narrow it down.

good luck.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default check your PM queue

jason s

its always chicken and egg..which came first. There seems to be a correlation between failed coil packs, loose spark plugs and leaky valve covers for this particular engine. I would try to read too much into it. I would simply replace the gaskets, wipe out the spark plug holes as best as possible and button it back up. Jon, I don't have my ETK handy...this is a common gasket replacement on the board...some one will dig out the P/N's for you. I would try to resolve the gasket leak and clean and check the plugs ASAP...don't want to trash your spark plug hole or ruin a coil and/or DME needlessly.
    George

Thanks guys.

I am having a hell of a time resolving this oil problem. I don't notice any leaks, however my driveway would say otherwise. We have a sh*tter we have parked there too that leaks so I am not sure if my oil is on the ground. I do see some blue smoke SOMETIMEs, not constant. Coil packs are relatively new, I had a BMW Independent replace them when i had a bad misfire. This problem should've been diagnosed if it existed @ that time. I haven't replace spark plugs since I've owned the car 40,000 miles ago. I will start by replacing this gasket. I will try and find a lift to find some oil leaks.

Default Here is the procedure I wrote on how to do it.

The procedure is a bit long, but of course you don't have to paint your cover when taking it off. If you're just going to take the cover off and put it right back on, you wont need any of the rubber grommets that sit around the bolt holes, although it might be good to have just a few in case you drop one and cant find it, etc.
    Part numbers are on the writeup.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/valvecover.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    1992 525i:

So i took my engine cover off and pulled my coil packs for grins and to my dismay I found cylinder 2 and 5 having oil in the plug holes. Cylinder 6 has a yellow/brown residue as if oil had been dripping from the Valve Cover and down into the plug holes. There was no sitting oil in #6 but there was in #2 and #5, #2 being the worst. I am hoping that (since my coils are still ok) there is no escalated problem and replacing the valve cover will remedy this?

Secondly, every now and then, I will very quickly blip the throttle from idle (to hear the motor sound) or when rev matching and sometimes I will get a "POP" from just infront of the fire wall. It sounds like a backfird, only its coming from up front. Could this be the sudden burn of the oil thats in the spark plug holes? If not, what the heck is this sudden firing sound, it almost sounds like a miss but all my coils and (to my knowledge) plugs are good. Coils were replaced but 15,000 miles ago (with Bosch). I didn't want to remove my plugs, knowing that oil would fall down into the combustion chamber and I am not sure how ideal that would be. Can anyone give me information on what i need to replace, and part numbers for the gaskets/o-rings? I can't find them in my ETK. I have a 1992 525i 5 Speed (build is 9/91).

Ryan, how did you access that graphic interface? Is it available to the general public? If so, I am very interested and would be very appreciative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12