GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Annoying door problem

Default Annoying door problem

I'm about to go out of my gourd with this issue. I am getting a door open message on the OBC display as well as the subsequent and quite annoying gong. All the doors are shut securely so I am assuming it is a switch or sensor somewhere. I know the door switches are in the latch on the doorjamb and all those appear to be working. The warning will go off and then back on numerous times during my daily commute. It is more likely to come on when I am braking and tends to go off when I begin to accelerate which leads me to believe there is a sensor or loose connection somewhere. I disconnected the trunk switch to see if that might be the cause... no dice. Is there a sensor somewhere that might cause this or a possible loose connection to look for?
    Qball

Default Couple questions ...

When you get the warning, Do the interior lights turn on? Of course, the switches should be in proper position (the one that turn on lights when you open one door).

In your car, is the driver's door the only one monitored by check control? I mean, you can live any other door open and drive your car without getting warning. If so only the driver's door circuit is involved, forget the other doors.

If lights do not turn on, the problem is inside the Check Control Module, if they do, you probably have the wire with some insulation damage and when the car moves it is shorted to ground intermittently. Sorry, this is the type of bugs hard to catch. The wire is a Brown/Gray/Yellow that goes to General Module, Check control, Anti Theft system, Seat/Mirror memory control, and the door jamb switch.

Javier
    Last edited by Javier; 02-02-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Remove quote

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    When you get the warning, Do the interior lights turn on? Of course, the switches should be in proper position (the one that turn on lights when you open one door).

In your car, is the driver's door the only one monitored by check control? I mean, you can live any other door open and drive your car without getting warning. If so only the driver's door circuit is involved, forget the other doors.

If lights do not turn on, the problem is inside the Check Control Module, if they do, you probably have the wire with some insulation damage and when the car moves it is shorted to ground intermittently. Sorry, this is the type of bugs hard to catch. The wire is a Brown/Gray/Yellow that goes to General Module, Check control, Anti Theft system, Seat/Mirror memory control, and the door jamb switch.

Javier
    I'll check those things later today. It's been pretty cold here lately and I don't have a garage to work in so I haven't really done a whole lot of troubleshooting yet. Thanks for the quick response. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Qball

my passanger door has the function, dont know about the rear.

Try playing with the switch and see if it shorts when you wiggle it, I think the car may have to be in gear, my auto has to be in gear and rolling so checking mine could be a hazardous thing. Its probably the driver door switch if not the controller as it would wear a lot more than any other doors.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I had that exact problem on my 91 535...

Driver's door switch (inside the receiver part of the striker plate) was worn out, so was the corresponding door latch piece, so when the door was closed, the switch was just barely depressed. Mostly on hot days when I'd drive around, it would go "bong... " and OBC would read DOOR AJAR or whatever the message is.

The proper fix is to replace the striker plate and/or the door latch piece. The simple fix for me was to swap out the rear passenger striker plate with the drivers door one, since the rear passenger door ( I figure ) is the one with the least wear on it.

Solved the problem for me, and it cost nothing! Just be sure not to lose the receiver plate inside the door pillar, it's the threaded piece of 1/4" metal plate into which the striker plates bolt.

HTH

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5