Background:

My M50 non-vanos e34 has @500,000km on the bottom end and has begun to show its age. In a compression test, cylinder #5 is 30lbs off the pace (all the rest are 175-180lbs). It 'fails' a wet test, matching the other five at 210lbs. I realize it may be odd that a single cylinder has such a pronounced drop in comp., but assume it is bottom end related, due to the mileage and the fact that I've replaced the cylinder head within the past two years. (if anyone begs to differ, or has any ideas, please let me know). The car will burn oil under/following vacuum conditions only.

Question:

I'm considering doing an engine swap within the next year and have contacted Autotrend in Toronto, whom I dealt with briefly when looking for a cylinder head. Don at Autotrend gave me the number of a Mike at Lakeside Motors who apparently has a M50, non-vanos motor (not rebuilt). I was wondering whether you've had any dealings with them and would consider them a reputable source for such a purchase. Did I notice your product may be carried there? I'll be ordering a chip as soon as I have a solid engine in the vehicle. Maybe you have additional sources for engines, bottom ends?

Sorry about the lengthy question, its an expensive endeavor and would prefer to cover the bases.

Thanks for reading,