GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Keyless Remote/Alarm Control Box

Default Where is the Keyless Remote/Alarm Control Box

I recently purchased a 1994 740iL that I confirmed with BWM customer service came with the keyless entry/alarm. When I check under the back seat, I don't see the control unit or even a wiring harness for one. Is it possible that the unit is mounted somewhere else?? Also, I understand that ebay is the best place for a transmitter (dealer here wants $114). Any advice on that would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

On my 93 740IL it's located behind the knee bolster on the drivers side. Pretty easy to get to, all you have to do is pop off the wood trim, unscrew the pad and metal bolster that it's screwed to. Keyless Ride is where I got my key fobs. Also their sister site Street keys can cut ya a key.
    Last edited by ecangian; 02-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Default same for 1994 e32?

Is the control unit in the same place under the seat in a 1994 e32 740iL from Canada? Would it look the same as in your pics? (thanks for those!)

Also, I don't have any receiver type thing on the headliner near the sunroof switch. Does that mean no remote on my car, or just maybe no remote? I'm thinking there must be a remote the way the locks all go from the driver's door.

Thanks.

Default Canadian version is close to US version?

I am not sure about that. Maybe there are other regulations regarding frequencies of anti-theft alarms etc.
    Maybe you try to allocate the parts with the online spare parts catalog by using your VIN.
    In any case the 1994 model should have an RF remote, while the early models had the IF (infrared) remote control system. The RF receiver does not have this black rectangular fob under the roof near the sunroof switch. Should be inside the rear view mirror I assume.
    You might also try the online wiring diagrams on my website.

alarm system on a 1884 740i without using a VIN (US version)
    Last edited by shogun; 02-03-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Default Do you mean under the steering wheel?

Thank you - as I am sure that it was factory installed and it is not under that back seat by the fuse box. Just to clarify before I pull apart the underdash, you think it is under the steering wheel where the drivers knees would touch if the seat is all the way forward. Is your's factory installed or aftermarket? Thanks. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ecangian
    On my 93 740IL it's located behind the knee bolster on the drivers side. Pretty easy to get to, all you have to do is pop off the wood trim, unscrew the pad and metal bolster that it's screwed to. Keyless Ride is where I got my key fobs. Also their sister site Street keys can cut ya a key.

Quote Originally Posted by jgnichol
    Thank you - as I am sure that it was factory installed and it is not under that back seat by the fuse box. Just to clarify before I pull apart the underdash, you think it is under the steering wheel where the drivers knees would touch if the seat is all the way forward. Is your's factory installed or aftermarket? Thanks. Jeff
    That's where mine was and it is factory installed. Again, it isn't a big deal to get too. A total of 9 phillips head screws. Very easy. I'll post some pictures on Monday if ya need them bro. Here is a picture of what the unit looks like:
    Alarm/Keyless Entry Box
    Last edited by ecangian; 02-03-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Default Thanks - I was also just able to verify that it was....

mounted under the knee bolster for several production months in 1994. Appreciate your help. I feel confident to purchase the FOB now.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ecangian
    That's where mine was and it is factory installed. Again, it isn't a big deal to get too. A total of 9 phillips head screws. Very easy. I'll post some pictures on Monday if ya need them bro. Here is a picture of what the unit looks like:
    Alarm/Keyless Entry Box

Default Yours could be behind the knee bolster if not under rear seat.

You can call BMW customer service to determine if your vehicle came with a factory remote locking system. 800-831-1117. Mine is under the knee bolster below the steering wheel.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by krogers42
    Is the control unit in the same place under the seat in a 1994 e32 740iL from Canada? Would it look the same as in your pics? (thanks for those!)

Also, I don't have any receiver type thing on the headliner near the sunroof switch. Does that mean no remote on my car, or just maybe no remote? I'm thinking there must be a remote the way the locks all go from the driver's door.

Thanks.

Tks for sharing the pics. have never seen the Alpine unit, apparently only used in US and Canada specs.
    Also the knee bolster is not installed in non-US versions.
    Mine is japanese specification and I do not have these installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast