GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E34 540i 5HP30 Questions

Default E34 540i 5HP30 Questions

Hello

I own an E34 540i with a 5HP30. I had a very wierd thing happen to my trans. The trans oil cooler ruptured internally mixing coolant with my trans oil. I flushed it out with the proper Shell fluid a couple of times. I wanted to know if anyone has had this happen, and might know how long my trans will last now. I work for a BMW dealer, and none of the techs ever heard of this happening before, so we're really not sure what to expect. Its almost impossible to get out all the fluid because some of it is pumped into the torque converter. Even after flushing it for the second time, you could still tell there was coolant in the fluid. As everyone knows the fluid is very expensive, and therefore we didn't want to flush it anymore. Any thoughts, or experiance on this would be appreciated.

Default I have seen this happen once to me recently with a customers

volvo, I ended up having to change the radiator and flush the fluid and screen 3 times in the space of about a day and a half before it looked completely clean..

Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19
    Hello

I own an E34 540i with a 5HP30. I had a very wierd thing happen to my trans. The trans oil cooler ruptured internally mixing coolant with my trans oil. I flushed it out with the proper Shell fluid a couple of times. I wanted to know if anyone has had this happen, and might know how long my trans will last now. I work for a BMW dealer, and none of the techs ever heard of this happening before, so we're really not sure what to expect. Its almost impossible to get out all the fluid because some of it is pumped into the torque converter. Even after flushing it for the second time, you could still tell there was coolant in the fluid. As everyone knows the fluid is very expensive, and therefore we didn't want to flush it anymore. Any thoughts, or experiance on this would be appreciated.

Default do all 5hp30 use coolers in the radiator?

my 5hp30 has a small tank where the tranny bolts to the engine.
    thanks
    tim s.

This has never happened to any of my bimmers but in a foolish youth i was a jag nut and this happened to me twice on two seperate cars, neither time did the gearbox last more than 1000 miles before it was fryed.
    My trans man says some of the bonding agents in the box are some what water soluable
    Pete