GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 525i '91... should I buy it ?

Default 525i '91... should I buy it ?

I guys,

I just arrived on this forum, so "Hello everybody !"

Here's my problem :
    I have the opportunity to buy a '91 full option 525i for a quite interesting price, but the car has 270 000kms (167 400miles). The car is in really good state (or at least really seems to).
    That's the car of my girl friend father, so I trust him when he says the car has always been well used.
    Do you think that baby could still drive me mad for years, or will she become to give me lots of problems ?
    I could solve most of the common problems myself, but if the motor leaves me on the side of the road in 6 months, that wouldn't be funny...

What are your advices ? Or things I should pay attention to ?

Thanks a lot !

Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by snoop
    Nicolas
    my advice is... NEVER trust your "girlfriend's father"!

Seriously in my experiences. That is not bad mileage. My 535 has close to that. And shes still runnin strong. good luck! w/ the car and the girlfriend. haha
    Daniel Kohr
    Proud 535i owner
    EMAIL: kohrdl@3mawdm.usmc.mil

Default I bought mine last November

I guys,

I just arrived on this forum, so "Hello everybody !"

Here's my problem :
    I have the opportunity to buy a '91 full option 525i for a quite interesting price, but the car has 270 000kms (167 400miles). The car is in really good state (or at least really seems to).
    That's the car of my girl friend father, so I trust him when he says the car has always been well used.
    Do you think that baby could still drive me mad for years, or will she become to give me lots of problems ?
    I could solve most of the common problems myself, but if the motor leaves me on the side of the road in 6 months, that wouldn't be funny...

Thanks a lot !

Nicolas
    with 157,000 on the clock. The only trouble I have right now is consumables (i.e. wind seals, weather stripping) and a little owner neglect (2 tiny rust spots). Mechanically, my air compressor is dying and my suspension is getting a little tired, but the thing runs awesome and it shifts like new. I love it!

Get your girlfriend's father to show the service records on the car. As long as it's been regularly maintained, it drives/shifts well, and you feel comfortable buying a car from your girlfriend's father, I say go for it. I love mine and would love to own several others.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Of course, that's a point of view ;-)

Think of it this way: Do you think her father really wants you to have a car that just might 'break down' somewhere down the road so you have to go in the backseat and get busy until the tow truck arrives?

I sense english isn't your first language, so if you didn't get the joke, don't take my advice seriously.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

I have all the services records, the car has been well and regurlarly maintained. I've already droved it... and... she's amazing... The only things that worries me, as I said, is the mileage...
    And the cost of the car, as I'm just 22years old, and such a car costs a lot in insurances and taxes in belgium...

No, english isn't my first language

But I got the joke

Default Which are you talking about?

When you say she could drive you nuts or leave you stranded on the roadside, are you talking about the car or the girlfriend? Ha Ha!

Seriously, 164k miles, IMHO, is just getting broken in on a lot of BMW's. What is the price he is asking?

Keep us filled in on the details!

He's asking me 2500€.
    But that may just have no sense if you're all from USA...

Here are some pics of the baby :

Of course, that's a point of view ;-)
    Hey welcome to the forum. Im new myself and in my short time on this board, Ive found some great advice from some guys who sound like they know what they are talking about. so keep us filled in w/ the bimmer. If u decide to buy... im sure you wont be dissappointed
    Daniel Kohr
    Proud 535i owner
    EMAIL: kohrdl@3mawdm.usmc.mil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast