GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Locating the Throttle Pos. & Oil Level Sensors

Default Locating the Throttle Pos. & Oil Level Sensors

I've got a check engine light, which results in code 1233 (Throttle Position Sensor). Additionally, I get an "Oil Level Sensor" warning on the OBC when I start or turn off the car.

Before replacing these, I'd like to check the connections. I got a used copy of the Bentley book (wow!), which makes it seem fairly straightforward. Problem is, I can't figure out where the heck the TPS is! I haven't even started the hunt for the oil level sensor yet.

This is on a 1989 535i (E34/M30 I believe). Any tips on where to look, or connections to clean? I'm fairly new to the DIY world, but am willing to give it a shot before taking the car to the dealer.

Thanks,

Norman

Bookmark this link, you will need it very often and it is an ideal to to find parts and check part numbers and prices.
    The oil level sensor might be defective. Not that expensive. But before better check the oil level and also sometimes cleaning of the oil level sensor helps.
    You will find the oil level sensor in main group engine and then look for oil pan.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Bookmark this link, you will need it very often and it is an ideal to to find parts and check part numbers and prices.
    Thanks for the tip. I found a picture of the TPS at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=13&fg=15. It looks like it's got some sort of cover over top, which would explain why I didn't see it before. I'll start pecking around for it again.

According to the Bentley book, and the image found on the website, the oil level sensor comes out the bottom of the oil pan. Is this the case? If so, it seems like it would be simple to test/replace during an oil change.

Thanks again for all the help. This website is certainly a wonderful resource!

Norman

Default Careful when removing screw cover ...

(Number 8 from the drawing). It tends to break, and then you will have to buy a new one.

Javier.