GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Battery for my 525i

Default New Battery for my 525i

Hello, I own a BMW 1990 525i. My battery went dead and I need a replacement battery. Can anyone recommend a brand (other than BMW) to replace my dead battery?? Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Steve S

Default Duralast 49D; Interstate MTP-93; or Douglas Battery....

This question is asked a lot and if you do a search...you will find that the Duralast 49D (approx. $69.99 sold by AutoZone) is usually the best deal. The Interstate Battery and the Douglas battery (sold by Batteries Plus) can also be found usually for under $125.

Here's one of many links that's been posted: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/5973423-1.html

Oh yeah...DON'T forget to get the vent kit...it should be attached to the side of the battery. It is VERY important to vent your battery if it's enclosed under the rear seat.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-30-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    It is VERY important to vent your battery since if is enclosed under the rear seat.
    Did I miss something? I have a 90 525 but my battery is under the hood. Hmmm

Yeah, it's only the V8s that have the battery under the seat, if I remember correctly. I suppose I could be wrong, though.
    If you ever discover that what you're seeing is a play within a play, just slow down, take a deep breath, and hold on for the ride of your life.

-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Default As far as i know all the US model 535 ,530 , 540 and the 525 with the

m50 motor all had the battery under the rear seat.. The earlier m20 motor 525 had it up front under the hood, I can't speak for the euro 518,520 , I haven't ever seen one..

Quote Originally Posted by garretb
    Yeah, it's only the V8s that have the battery under the seat, if I remember correctly. I suppose I could be wrong, though.

I think it's just early M20's.

The 1992 525iA (or was it a '91? I forget) I looked at prior to buying my car had it under the rear seat, my 535's battery is located there as well.

Regardless: the duralast seems to be the best deal around. I bought one in late November. $70 plus a $8 core charge (they can have the nasty old one, thank you). 7 year warranty. I'm sure the under-the-hood variant for the early M20's has an equally compelling price. Go to an autozone and get the scoop!

Good luck!

Best, whit

Default OE Batteries work fine for me

I'm not sure what your aversion to the BMW battery is.
    In 160,000 miles and over 9 years, I only had to replace the battery once. The original battery went for 6 years and the replacement BMW battery has lasted over 3 years so far without a hint of trouble. Cost with the BMWCCA discount was no worse that other comparable batteries. I think the original was mase by Varta, not sure who made the second one.
    Z

Default Douglas mfg's the BMW battery now....

which can be purchased from Batteries Plus. The only difference is that the battery case will be black instead of white.

Most who bail out of buying an OE battery do so because of the exhorbitant price the "stealers" ask for them. Now...pricing can be a subjective determiner...some (maybe like yourself) won't bat an eye at paying close to $200 for a battery. But for some of us that are more "frugal"...paying $200 for a battery which has an equivilent replacement for $125...will send us off to the non-brand battery. Remember though...we are not suggesting buying an underpowered no-name battery that will only last a few years...we are discussing batteries that have enough guts to handle the demands our cars require.

Besides, there aren't that many battery manufacturers out there...most brands are made by just a few companies. For example, Johnson Controls manufacturers about 16 batteries sold under different brand names..click the following link to see a list:Johnson Control batteries sold under their Brand Names

So I guess the "aversion" some of us have is paying $200 for a battery when a $69 Duralast 49D battery (sold by AutoZone) has the same power and even longer warranty (7 yr w/2yr free replacement)...or paying approx $125 to Batteries Plus for the same (BMW) battery except it's in a black case.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-31-2005 at 10:35 AM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

It's $115 from my local BMW dealer, after BMWCCA discount.
    Just got a quote for a 1995 525i (like mine)
    List is $144.
    I wouldn't pay $200 either.

I like my duralast, I know I have at least a few good years without question. and at 65 bux out the door, why pay more? Unless of course you have too much money on your hands.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast