GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: URGENT - 535i automatic (1991 E34) starting problems

Default URGENT - 535i automatic (1991 E34) starting problems

Hope one of the geniuses can help out.

Came back from California to London (UK) yesterday - after a 2 week vacation. Started car without a problem. Drove about 4 miles and parked up. Suspected that the low fuel light on fuel guage blinked a couple of times - ignored it because had seen this before - I usually top up the fuel soon after anyway.

After 1 hour, got in the car but it would not start!!! Went to gas station and bought a gallon. Poured it into the tank, heard the fuel pump buzz at ignition on, but the car still will not start!! Think the battery is now getting low.

On another point, the hazards come on everytime I use the key to unlock/lock the car. Oddly enough, the car does not possess an alarm even! Originally thought that the flashing hazards could be warning on low battery power.

Has anyone experienced anything kike this? I would be eternally grateful if someone points me in the right direction.......

If not the forum, answers to mmalaviya@blueyonder.co.uk please
    Many thanks,

The starting problem is probably because the car was not used for such a long time. If battery voltage is too low, the electronics play .
    Use a multimeter an check battery voltage, cranking voltage at lowest point and charging voltage of the alternator.
    There are certain points which should be kept as minimum. Any gas/fuel station can tell you.
    If you want to do it (here are my test procedures) from Patrick copied
    Find a digital multimeter (a useable one can be had for $15) and stick the probe into the cigarette lighter socket in the center console.

The following are the detail figures I use for my own evaluation:
    With key out of ignition switch, should see 12.4V or above. 12.0 V is getting low.
    With key inserted and turned to position 2 (don't start car), should see 12.0V or more. 11.6V would be too low.
    Crank car, catch the lowest voltage reading during that couple of seconds. Should see 10.0V or above. 9.5V would be marginal.
    The above just consider the health of battery itself.
    Car running at 1500 RPM or more, should see 13.7 to 14.3V, 13.6V or below means the charging system is weak.

Hazard lights: most probbably the crash alarm relay in the fuse box right of the check control module. Brown colour, replacement cost roughly $ 50.
    Had same prob before for half a year and learned it the hard way by exchanging /checking may parts over months. Sometimes I heard also the GM is the problem.

PS: if you use the search engine, all is already covered on these subjects and much more info there.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-29-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks for your input shogun. I replaced the battery after jump starting the car and all is back to normal. Freaky!