GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock/Spring components

Default Shock/Spring components

If i were to bring the Sach's kit to a shop and have them put together the shock/springs...What other parts do I need to bring? Like...spring pad or anything else. Please name everything if you can...even stuff you think I would know.
    TIA

Edit: make that any spring/shock comb...say like h/r's and konis...

Sorry- im pretty clueless on car's.
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 01-30-2005 at 08:25 PM.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Depending upon the mileage on your car, before you have the kit installed, have someone take a look at all of your suspension parts.

Inspect your control arms, both upper and lowers, it is usually easier to replace these while you have the suspension apart. The new components will stress the older parts to failure in the near future if they are questionable. It's also a good idea to inspect or replace the steering linkage and tie rod ends at the same time. It's a little more expensive, but you will experience the full effect of how the handling and ride is supposed to be in these cars. Finally, the only other thing to consider replacing would be the upper strut mounts.

With all the parts replaced, your car will handle and ride like never before and you will enjoy it for a long time to come. It's more expensive, but you will avoid more labor later and will be able to have only one alignment done after all the parts are replaced at once.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Jr

Im replacing it all myself (with a mechanic at my side). Just that I dont have a spring compressor, nor do I want to try one. But thank you for making sure I do that. It would be pretty pointless to just change shocks and struts while everything else is worn. Im replacing, thrust arms, control arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends, pitman arms (i think), shocks, struts, upper strut mounts.

So, All I need to bring into a shop to have a spring/shock put together is...

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    If i were to bring the Sach's kit to a shop and have them put together the shock/springs...What other parts do I need to bring? Like...spring pad or anything else. Please name everything if you can...even stuff you think I would know.
    TIA

Edit: make that any spring/shock comb...say like h/r's and konis...

Sorry- im pretty clueless on car's.
    Your car should already have spring pads...doubt there's any reason to replace them...unless you just want to. I'd replace your tie rods and some little wear parts while they are in the area...control arms if they're starting to show wear. Because suspension isn't going to do anything but quicken the deterioration(probably spelled that wrong, it's late) of these parts.

BTW, i've got some 8k mile H&R sport springs, if you're interested...would let them go for pretty cheap.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Josh - I'd just borrow a spring compressor from the local autozone and do it yourself (if the shop is charging you money). It's really not that scary

The hardest part about all of this stuff is: 1) kocking out the old ball joints from the steering plates (my piece d'resistance is a pickle fork and a big ass sledge hammer), 2) getting those damn strut housing collar nuts off (do like Don Gale and loosen it while it's still on the car...also use a liberal amount of PB Blaster (my favorite) or Liquid Wrench (Don's favorite)). It also helps if you have air tools, but they're by no means necessary...just a good set of metric wrenches, sockets, and extensions.

Also: when you get to the idler arm, be sure to remove the heat shield (held on by a few, I think, M6, M8 or M10's)...it makes reinstaling that bit possible. And don't forget to get an alignment

Best, Whit

Yup, alignment fo sure lowell. I Minus well replace the pads if I am doing all this work. I wouldnt want it going bad before anything else. I might go back to my highschool and ask the teacher if I can use the spring compressor. I still wouldnt know how to use it, but I'll ask him.

Still need to know what else I need to have a complete shock/strut assembly before it goes into the car.

mtech- PM me on how much you are willing to let them go for, part numbers, etc. I might consider it if its cheap enough.
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 01-30-2005 at 10:54 PM.

www.KaRealtySF.com

Spring compressors are easy Plus, if you go to autozone, they'll lend it to you for free...well, they'll take $40 and give it back when you return the thing. Just ask for a macpherson spring compressor. Should look like this:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...pring_tool.jsp

Get one of these, while you're at it, if you don't have one already:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr..._separator.jsp

If you've got the strut mounts, new self locking nuts, red loctite, usable tools, and a few rags....you should be good to go. I re-used the old pads last time I was in there.

If you're installing the Sachs kit, I *think* they recommend getting rid of them?! I don't know because I haven't done mine yet, but I'll probably follow the instructions to the T...with the exception of that rear strut adjustment.

Good luck, mate.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 01-31-2005 at 02:54 AM.

Also, if you don't use the sachs kit or bilstein sports, make sure to get new bump stops. You probably know this already, but the BS (ha ha) has an internal bump stop, sachs from BMA includes them as part of the kit.

Ill probly go with the sachs kit just because its cheaper and its matched already. Plus, I'm going to order everything from bma anyways.

So all i need are:
    Sachs kit
    Strut Mounts x 2?
    New self locking nuts
    Some red loctite
    Spring pads x 4?

www.KaRealtySF.com

Definitely get the rear strut mounts. Make sure BMA gives you OEM or the Febi/Bilstein...none of that Meyle trash.

In terms of the front strut mounts, which are much more robust: I replaced mine last time I had it apart. At ~220k, they were looking alright, but it was time. They cost a bit, but it is probably a good idea to replace them.

Red loctite is for the steering plate bolts (there are three of them on each front struthousing) and the struthousing collar nut. You'll need a new self locking nut for the strut insert itself (usually comes with the strut insert), as well as 3 M10 (I think that's what they are...could be M13's) self locking nuts for each strut mount in the car (these are visible when you pop open the hood, right on top of the strut tower...and you'll find them under the rear package shelf when you pull out the seat back). Of course, you could just loctite the old ones. I picked up all of this misc hardware at the local NAPA...not sure if BMA has it.

The spring pads are a good question. They seem like a minor thing to me. You might ask Patrick about them and see what he says. Like I said, I haven't installed mine yet but will when it shows up here...tomorrow!?!

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 01-31-2005 at 02:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast