GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft Position Sensor

Default Camshaft Position Sensor

Anyone could help letting me know how to test the camshaft sensor, i just gave up looking in the net for the correct voltage/signal/resistance of the camshaft sensor...any info is very appreciated

jj

ill try to remember to get the info from work when i go to feed the dog today, but i've had that type of sensor check out by the numbers and still be bad, i have a graphing multimeter/lab scope that i check them with that makes it easyer
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    ill try to remember to get the info from work when i go to feed the dog today, but i've had that type of sensor check out by the numbers and still be bad, i have a graphing multimeter/lab scope that i check them with that makes it easyer
    One of the reasons i brought this up,the bentley doesnt have any reference to this sensor,even i tried on the web, i managed to find this following link i hope i manage to get it right:
    http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Articles/121998_02.html
    It`s about Topic No.3 (No start), although i am not having a no start situation, but if read from end of line 3 of the article it says that the voltage and resistance should be the same,except,of course, the pins in the DME.
    appreciate your reply (and if its not for me you better rush and feed the dog)

all of the tests i have involve a lab scope and reading the waveform or frequency, nothing easy sorry, that's why i couldn't remember the resistance. i think you can still read the ac voltage pulse when it's turning over, it should be the center pin and one of the outer pins on the plug, the other outer is the shield wire
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    all of the tests i have involve a lab scope and reading the waveform or frequency, nothing easy sorry, that's why i couldn't remember the resistance. i think you can still read the ac voltage pulse when it's turning over, it should be the center pin and one of the outer pins on the plug, the other outer is the shield wire
    ..no problem,i am hardly good at using the ohmeter but wont mind one day knowing to use the scope.But for the record,the pins mentioned should be as follows(AT LEAST FOR MY CAR):
    Outer Pin: YELLOW wire,pin no 17 in the ECU
    Center Pin: BROWN/ORANGE wire, going to ground
    Outer Pin: RED/WHITE (I cant tell where it goes)

Hope this info will be useful

Default Red/white is feed 12 Vdc from ...

the Engine Control Module Relay (K6300).

This is a special Hall-efect sensor, not a magnetic pick-up, like Crankshaft.

Javier

Default If you have frequency meter on your tester ...

try geting frequency readings from Yellow wire to ground wile engine is cranking.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    try geting frequency readings from Yellow wire to ground wile engine is cranking.

Javier
    I further tried to read on the power management schematic about the RED/WHITE wire, if not mistaken pin No.54 (switched battery),and the Main relay,is connected to the camshaft sensor.The thing is i can`t find any good write up about this sensor,when it comes to mentioning it all the focus goes to the Crankshaft sensor.At least this forum should have a solid reference about it,although a very basic begginer,i`ll try to dig up as much info possible,please correct me when i go wrong, and thanx all for the input
    jj

Default This is an interesting link on the subject ...

http://www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm

Look for Hall effect sensor.

The Red/white wire feeds power to the sensor (pin 1) from the ECU relay, so you should have there 12 Vdc. Brown/orange (pin 3) provides ground, and Yellow wire (Pin 2) is the signal to the ECU pin 17. Per the info in the posted link, the sensor is a switch 100 ohm / more than 10K ohm. It means that if you slowly turn the engine with the sensor and the ecu energized, you should see voltage at the yellow wire going from 0 to 5 volts depending on the position of the camshaft. If you use a needle voltmeter (5 volts scale) instead of a digital, you will notice a pulsating behavior when cranking the engine.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    http://www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm

Look for Hall effect sensor.

The Red/white wire feeds power to the sensor (pin 1) from the ECU relay, so you should have there 12 Vdc. Brown/orange (pin 3) provides ground, and Yellow wire (Pin 2) is the signal to the ECU pin 17. Per the info in the posted link, the sensor is a switch 100 ohm / more than 10K ohm. It means that if you slowly turn the engine with the sensor and the ecu energized, you should see voltage at the yellow wire going from 0 to 5 volts depending on the position of the camshaft. If you use a needle voltmeter (5 volts scale) instead of a digital, you will notice a pulsating behavior when cranking the engine.

Javier
    Javier,by the way that link is really interesting and i got it on my favourite links, the pins are 100% in the order you mentioned.Its worth taking a look at the link i posted earlier, since the camshaft and crankshaft sensors could be worth checking for cars with advanced timing problem,which may lead to pinging.again many thanks for time and effort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast